Chapter 20

A/N- Long mesage at the end. Please read.

***

I flickered my eyes from left to right as I closed the wired gate silently.

My bike was parked inside, near an abandoned building filled with trash, vandalism, torn flyers and the like. The place had been so abandoned - looking that I had decided to park my bike there, regardless of the fact that it could get stolen, missing a few pieces or get broken.

I knew that John was still after me with promises of my agony, and I knew I should have hidden my bike in a place less obvious than the rundown building in front of me. Surprisingly however, I didn't care for my well-being.

As I walked away from the gate, making sure to stay in the shadows, I thought of Allen.

A man of mystery.

A man full of one that he had unlucky caught the attention of the High Commander. The reason, however, was unbeknownst to me. Though strangely, I had the burning need to know the reason.

A slight frown tugged my lips.

As a person who followed and killed without question and hesitation, this need to know why was unfamiliar to me. I pushed aside the desire to know at the far edge of my mind. There was time later to prod at it.

Now, however... Why did the High Commander want him dead?

Before I had gotten myself captured and then later fallen into unconsciousness, I remember hearing the conversation of the High Commander and his Protector. Though the conversation had not been whole, I had atleast managed to grasp a few words before I had fallen limp like a weak damsel.

I bit back a growl for my impotency.

The High Commander had said something about someone destroying his plans. I distinctly remember the anger beneath the words as he conversed, as if he held great fury for the person. Then he had said something about experiments and mutations, before eventually commanding my death.

My guess would be that the High Commander somehow has ties with the past experiments, or he has plans to do it again.

I suppressed a shudder as I walked out of a dark alley and silently made my way through the streets. Ignoring the large mansions on each sides of the road, and the guards posted outside, I shifted deeper into the shadows.

The experiments the High Commander mentioned, however, could be something entirely different. It could be experiments for future technologies, or perhaps experimental trainings for new recruits.

A sound entered my hearing and I immediately merged deeper into the shadows.

Footsteps drew closer and I watched with silent interest as a couple appeared from a corner. They looked ordinary enough as they held hands and looked at each other as if entranced by the other's presence. However, from their large coats, something glinted as it caught the light of the street lamp.

I followed them with my eyes.

A couple near Sam's apartment, wore coats that looked exactly the same as the ones in front of me.

It would seem that I was being hunted by the Society, but with the way the couple seemed unaware of my presence, they have yet to find me.

I remained silent and hidden until the couple turned a corner at the end of the street. Finally relaxing when I could not hear them anymore, I continued.

The night was slightly lit by the moon and with its position I knew that dawn was slowly approaching. I was unconcern by the fact, knowing that I could just as easily slip through the mansion during the day, just as I could under the moonlight.