Chapter 18

I pushed aside the urge to rip the girl's tongue out when she asked me another question.

I had previously thought that the girl would be worth the effort of getting her out, but now I was beginning to question if Sam could investigate her DNA with just a severed head. But I resisted myself, wanting to question the girl about her mutation as soon as we were far away and safe from the Society.

Swallowing my dry throat, I straddled my bike and ignored her for a moment. The alarm had sounded only a minute ago, and I was currently in no mood to face armed guards, and possibly John. If I would see him, it would be too soon. However, I was sure that they would come after us and I'd have the pleasure of hearing him cry for mercy when I would torture him just as he did to me for answers.

"Is this yours?", the girl questioned again as she gazed at the bike with an appreciative look.

If this was mine, I would have been smug that she liked it. But, unfortunately, I just stole it from Sam. I still pushed aside the urge to be smug about it though.

"Stop talking and sit", I managed to growl out as I reached for the helmet and wore it.

Thankfully, the girl pursed her lips and quickly swung her leg and sat behind me. When she slowly snaked her arms around my waist, I tilted my head to look at her. Of course with the helmet on, she couldn't see my glare and instead of dropping her hands, she hugged me tighter.

I groaned under my breath, Calm yourself, Void. Calm. Calm. Don't cut her hands off. Calm. Calm. Cal-

"How much longer are we going to stay here?", she asked again, breaking through my composure.

I growled quietly as I reached a hand in my belt to take out my phone. Placing it on the bike and playing the recording for Sam's voice, the bike roared to life before quietly purring. I listened to the calming sound for a moment, reminding me somehow of Thomas who I hadn't seen for a while, before I tapped twice on the white stripes on the ground with my foot.

Gripping the handles tightly, I began to drive, not bothering to tell the girl to hold on tight, less she would fly off. With increasing speed, I shot off from the garage and to the road.

"Dial Sam", I said as I leaned the motorcycle to the right to dodge a car. The driver waved a fist at me threateningly, but I ignored him.

"Dialing Sam", the robotic voice said as a picture of Sam's goofy face appeared at the edge of the tinted glass of my helmet.

It rang twice before it came to his voicemail. I muttered a curse under my breath as I leaned to the left to dodge a stray dog on the road.

"End it and dial again", I said again.

As it rang once more, I remembered that I had no idea where I was going and what I was going to tell Sam. Those were two problems that were gradually giving me a head ache until I gripped the handles so tight that I knew that they were turning white.

As if sensing my pain, the girl hugged me tighter and despite myself, it managed to clear my head ache until I loosened my grip on both handles.

The ringing suddenly stopped as someone answered the phone, but no voice came from the other side other than the steady hearing of the person.

Taking my chances, and damning John and his morons to hell, I spoke, "Sam."

"OH THANK GOD!", Sam shrieked gratefully from the phone causing me to almost crash into an approaching car and for the girl behind me to shout out in alarm, "I THOUGHT YOU DIED."

"I MEAN, SERIOUSLY VOID? WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?! YOU'VE BEEN GONE FOR TWO WEEKS, VOID. TWO WEEKS. AND I'VE BEEN WORRIED SICK ABOUT YOU. WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?! YOU BETTER ANSWER IN A COUNT OF THREE OR IM FINDING YOU MYSE-"