Chapter 36: Honestly, I'm pretty sure crutches are supposed to help you walk.

>Jay's POV<

Everyone was frozen.

I have no idea how Hazel just managed to take down that guy so quickly, but she did.

I knew as soon as Sam was shot she would do something stupid, however I didn't think it would work this well.

Yep, definitely underestimated her there Jay.

I had no idea what was going through her head right now. She had just witnessed a possible death, of someone she's knows fairly well too. Aiden and Ben were about to be punished for turning against Robert's rule, because of Hazel. Finally, Seth, Zach and I were here too, most likely to be killed.

And he was saving me until last.

He wanted me to feel the most pain, for me to witness the death of my best friends, and the death of my first love.

And I hadn't even been able to tell her.

Shit, she wasn't even officially my girlfriend.

However, I just had to hold on to the little spark of hope I had that we would make it out of here, and I think Hazel had us in a position that might pull us to an advantage.

They had taken our guns off us before we came in, so I knew there was no luck there.

Although Hazel had her gun aimed right at Robert, the two guards at the side had theirs on her, and as soon as she pulled that trigger they would pull theirs.

Roman was behind us, but I had no idea what he was doing.

It was a standoff, and no one was game enough to make the first move, mainly because it seemed as though it wouldn't go anyone's way at the moment.

All I wanted to do was gather her in my arms and kiss her, tell her everything was going to be okay and we would get out of this, tell her that I loved her and I wanted nothing more in the world than to be her boyfriend.

But, here we were.

I could see her chest rising and falling fast; adrenalin was obviously running through her veins. I was sure she'd never shot a gun in her life, there was a possibility she might not even hit Robert.

"Hazel, Hazel, Hazel." Robert says, his calm facade back again.

It was about time someone broke the silence, the tension in the room was skyrocketing.

I clench my jaw subconsciously, watching his every move.

He starts taking short, lazy steps towards her.

I see her hands tighten around the gun, her knuckles bursting with whiteness.

She was nervous.

I knew I had to do something, she wasn't going to be able handle this by herself.

Ideas start buzzing through my head.

"You've seem to cause me quite a lot of grief these past few weeks, yet you just won't seem to give up, will do?" He says.

"Well it is my life on the line, as well as my friends." She replies boldly, but I still notice the instability of her voice.

He doesn't reply as he just watches her, taking in her every move.

I take that as my opportunity.

I quickly bound from my spot and tackle the guy closest to me who is holding the gun at Hazel.