Chapter 30: Well if I didn't feel like an idiot before, I do now.

>Jay's POV<

"You don't take your eyes off her, you got that boys?" Steve says, looking at Seth, Zach and I.

We all nod, "Don't worry, we won't." Zach says.

"Dad, trust me, I'll be fine." Lexi says, coming down the stairs.

She was dressed up enough, I noticed Zach staring and I nudge him in the side.

Steve nods at her, "I know."

"Alright come on, lets go." I say.

They nod and we go to the door, Steve pulls Lexi aside to talk to her.

I open the door and am surprised when someone's already standing there.

"Mae?" I ask.

Her eyes widen, "Oh sorry, I was just going to knock. I thought this was Hazel's house?"

I nod, "It is."

Seth and Zach come behind me, looking at who it is.

"Oh okay, uh, is she here right now?" She asks, pursing her lips.

I shake my head, "We're actually going to meet her somewhere."

She sighs, "Right, can you just tell her I stopped by."

"What? Are you guys friends or something?" Zach asks.

She smiles a little, "Something like that."

With that she turns around and gets into her car before driving off.

We go out to our car and get in while we wait for Lexi, "Weird." I say.

"Yeah, I've never seen Mae and Hazel hang out before." Seth says.

"Mae?" Lexi asks as she hops into the car.

I look at her in my rearview mirror, "You know her?"

I start the car and drive off.

"Not really, Hazel introduced me to her in the bathroom once. When we were shopping for our masquerade stuff." She says.

I clench my jaw a little, whenever I hear mention of the masquerade ball I always get angry.

Also since it's the last time I saw Hazel before she got taken, it makes me even angrier.

"Dude, I get that you want to get there, but if we all got there in one piece, that would be great." Zach says.

I look down at my dash and see I'm speeding.

I slow down a little, "Right, sorry. So Hazel was talking to her in the bathroom?"

Lexi nods, "Yeah, but Mae didn't look very flash. It looked like I walked in on a very serious conversation."

I frown and glance to Zach, who's in the passenger seat, "You don't think that Mae's in Robert's gang do you?"

He thinks for a second, "It's a possibility, she's gone off the rails. But I would think that she'd been more known, with Roman and all that in it too."

"What if Hazel was organising something with her?" Seth asks.

"Like what?" I ask.

"Well, if we stick to the theory that we have, Mae could have been blackmailing Hazel with something to do with what happened at the masquerade, like the letter."