The Search

Heyy guys, I'm on an editing spree right now, and this here is a chapter that I love reading. So if you love Ryan, you'll like this.

*

It's early, barely being past six. But I just couldn't sleep, I couldn't stop tossing and turning knowing that Charlotte's alive. I don't understand why, but I feel the need to find her.

I grab one of Charlotte's shirts that I stole from Dylan and sniff it. There's not much of a smell, but there's something. It almost smells like fresh linen, but the rest of it just smells like earth. This will be easy...please notice the sarcasm.

I open the door, and a gush of cold air hits my face. It's oddly cold for an april morning. I zip up my leather jacket even more, eventually running out of zipper. I hop off the porch, and take off in a random direction. If this was me in this situation, where would I run?

Home.

But what is home? Lydia is home, she's been with me through all of this. But then my real parents are home. The smell of the air in fall and winter. The way the elk run across the snowy fields of Colorado. But where is home for Charlotte? Like me she might not know.

I could start at her house, the place that is now apparently abandoned. I start off in a random direction, but then stop abruptly as I realize I have freaking clue as to where her old house was...dammit. I need help.

Who can I call, though? I definitely can't call Dylan. He would flip and tell me not to do it. I can't call Ashley or Lela, they'd tell Dylan. Tyler's in France, so that's a definite no. Max doesn't have a phone and I don't want to risk Dylan overhearing anything. And Isabella- That's it! I can call Izzy!

I yank out my phone and call her.

Ring. Ring. Ring- She picks up, groaning.

"Alex, what the hell? It's like six in the morning." She complains and I roll my eyes. I check the clock on my phone and reply.

"It's actually 6:12." I say, and I hear her curse at me. "Anyways, I need your help." I say, leaning against a tree.

"What? What's wrong?" She asks, finally sounding awake. I laugh at how concerned she sounds.

"Nothing, nothing's wrong. I just need you to help me find something...or someone." I say, and for a few seconds she's silent. I can tell what she's thinking. She knows what I'm thinking.

"Can you meet me inside of Dunkin Donuts?" I ask, and she sighs.

Of course. I'll see you soon." She says, sounding tired. I hang up, and run back into my house. I quickly grab my keys, and run out.

I hop in my car, and pull out of the driveway. I'm driving pretty fast, but slow down as soon as I remember that cops do exist. I impatiently tap the steering wheel at a stoplight. The light finally turns green, and I turn into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot.

This is a small town, where everybody knows everybody and everything. So the main part of town is only about ten minutes away. I get out of my car and go in. Why not have some coffee before this day starts right?

I order my coffee and wait for it. "Hey." Someone says, and I turn to see Izzy. I'm about to hug her when I see the one and only asshole walk in. Oops, did I say asshole? I meant Ryan.

"Why'd you bring the fleebag?" I ask, and Ryan scowls at me. Isabella looks at me apologetically.

"He blackmailed me." She says, glaring at Ryan, and I raise my eyebrows at Ryan. Ryan flashes me a bright grin, despite the fact that the sun has just started to rise.