Chapter 19 ~ The Spark

Start from the beginning

            “Ben,” I greeted as I turned towards the stairway, hearing the retired Beta hurrying down.

            “Taylor told me what happened. We have the rogues in lockup?” he wondered and I nodded in confirmation.

            “I was hoping you might be able to tell us if this is one of the missing people,” I said and Ben looked to me for a moment more before moving to stand beside Damon on the other side of the body, grimacing as he took the image in.

            “It’s hard to tell,” Ben admitted. “But I can definitely say tha-.”

            “Alpha,” Janna interrupted, her gaze flickering to Damon. He looked quickly to me before he moved around to body so he could see where Janna was pointing.

            “Son of a bitch,” I heard him mutter seconds later.

            “What?” I asked, trying to look around them. Even Ben must’ve seen it because he released a sigh as he dragged a hand down his face, frustration flashing through his eyes.

            “He didn’t make it,” Janna whispered to Damon. At that point, my impatience was exceeding me and I growled, mustering up my Luna tone.

            “What the fuck is it?” I barked, my hands clenched by my sides as I bared my teeth towards the trio. Damon stood and turned, walking towards me with a dark expression.

            “There are bite marks along his shoulders,” he admitted.

            “What does that mean?”

            Damon sighed. “It means that they were trying to change him. His immune system couldn’t take lycanthrope venom.”

            “That’s why his body’s so deformed,” I thought aloud, Damon nodding in confirmation. “Why would Doyle try to change them? He’ll have a bunch of younglings on his hands.” The thing about new werewolves, especially ones that have been bitten like younglings, is that their almost impossible to control. They’re reckless, destructive, conflicted, and completely untamable for about a month. Plus, they have no control over their shifting.

            “That’s what we’re going to have to find out,” Damon said. I thought of the captured rogues almost immediately, and I had little doubt that Damon did, too. Maybe with enough persuasion they’ll flip on Doyle and tell us what he has planned and what he’s doing with the town’s people.

            “Alphas,” Ben beckoned, Damon turning his attention to him. “I’m going to take the body to the morgue at the precinct and see if I can get the coroner to identify him.”

            “What if he starts asking questions about the deformed limbs?” I said.

            “Oh, Jim knows about us. He’s working on the victims from Doyle’s attack,” Ben told us, easing my nerves just a little bit. Damon nodded and ushered for Taylor and Ali to help the sheriff move the remains to his truck.

            “I’ll get Dan and we’ll start interrogating the rogues,” Damon said and started towards the stairs.

            “I want to interrogate them,” I argued. Damon stopped and turned towards me again.

            “KC, they’re a pair of lunatics. I don’t want you near them. For one thing, I don’t want you getting hurt and secondly, I don’t want them seeing that your pregnant. They could inform Doyle through their pack link.”