27| ''This isn't over''

Start from the beginning

'What did you find out?' I questioned, clinging onto any different topic that I could aside from Nathaniel's betrayal.

'I didn't want to be like Isobel...' he whispered, 'I didn't want to lose everything and become like-'

'What did you find out?' I repeated, louder over his yammering sobs.

Nathaniel looked up at me with red rimmed eyes before he whispered something more to the air than to me, 'Everything'.

KEIRA

'I brought you dinner,' I announced as I entered the guest room.

The room was large enough for two people, hosting a creamy white theme with a dark mahogany four poster bed and rose threaded pillows. Leila was sitting on the bed, reading, whilst Tommy sat on the carpet - giggling as he played with the shapeshifter dog.

Leila had been on the fence when Julian shifted into an animal to keep Tommy entertained. Perhaps she thought we had some ulterior motives and was afraid that the giant dog would swallow her son whole when she wasn't looking. But she trusted him now and I watched Tommy wrap his small arms around the dog's white neck, 'Juju'.

Leila looked up when I clicked the door back shut and stood up, placing the book she had been reading on the bedside drawer, 'Thank you'.

'You're welcome,' I smiled, placing the tray of food for two on the desk that had been placed against a wall, 'Rosalie made Tommy's favourite today'.

'Bacon gravy!' the toddler shouted from the carpet and I watched him cling onto Julian's ears as the dog pulled him onto his feet.

I felt Leila's stare on my cheek and turned to see her fidget - she wanted to talk to me.

'Why don't you take Tommy down to the kitchen?' I asked Julian as he walked past, the toddler hanging onto his neck.

The shapeshifter grunted once and the toddler giggled as he received leave to ride the humungous hound down the hallway towards the kitchen. I watched them disappear down the stairs before shutting the door.

'Is Nathaniel alright?' Leila asked nervously and when I turned I saw she was running her arms - as if trying to reassure herself.

I nodded, 'He's fine. The barrier room-'

'I know,' she whispered, 'but I mean... emotionally'.

I bit the inside of my cheek before sighing, 'I don't know. They've both been down there since noon'.

'You don't think anything could've happened? Jett is rather-'

'You have no right to talk about Jett,' I interrupted fiercely, making the woman close her mouth with an audible click, 'Nathaniel's put him through hell and he deserves a whole lot more than a couple hours worth of an explanation'. Silence ensued and feeling rather awkward after my outburst I cleared my throat, 'You should eat something, I'll go and check on Tommy'.

As I turned to leave, however, Leila's voice stopped me, 'I am grateful to Jett,' when I turned to look at her, she continued, 'I know people see him as... rash, aggressive and arrogant at times but,' her hazel eyes flickered up to me, 'he's a good person. Tommy wouldn't be here without him and I don't want you to think that I don't appreciate everything he's done for us'.

My eyes softened before I bit my lip, 'Then maybe you should've told Nathaniel to tell the truth sooner'.

'I didn't know,' she pleaded, taking a few steps closer to me before stopping and holding both hands to her mouth, 'I... I didn't know he made that deal'.