29. Clara

"But...are you sure?" I questioned him earnestly.

He stared deeply into my eyes, into the pit of my soul.

"I'm sure."

***

We set off, with Sebastian following the scent like a dog on a mission, although his appearance as a wolf still unnerved me, bringing back uncomfortable memories.

The scar stung, as though reminding me of the price I'd paid to travel to the past, and to discover him watching me. That still unnerved me; I couldn't fathom why his wolf didn't gently mark, or why this whole process had to occur.

He halted suddenly, sniffing the air.

"What is it?"

He barked, and I burst out laughing.

"Good doggie!"

Sebastian glared at me, then nudged me over with his paw, standing over me and accidentally dribbling on my face.

"Ewww!" I spluttered. "That is disgusting!"

He placed a paw on my chest, pushing down slightly, and his eyes seemed to yell: Shut up; I can't help being a slobbery mess.

I conceded, and he eventually let me up, and we re-entered our dorms.

The woman behind the reception desk inside shrieked, grabbing the nearest makeshift weapon and holding it out, as though she would be of any interest.

"N-no pets in the dorms!" She squeaked, her shaking hands brandishing a lamp. "Shoo!" She instructed Sebastian.

One bark from him was all it took for her to cower behind her desk in fear, her eyes peeking across at me.

I ignored her, and followed tentatively as Sebastian padded towards the stairs, and then down them.

Although this route felt familiar to me, I couldn't really figure out why, or where we were going.

We paused in front of what appeared to be a sauna door. It hadn't been there before; I was sure of it. Sebastian nudged me with his nose to open it.

"Wait. I know this place."

I was sort of sure I did, somehow.

He shook his head gently, as if to dispell my naïve and ridiculous thoughts, then nudged me once more, this time urgently.

"You're right; there's no time. Let's do this," I muttered, slightly nervously.

I grabbed the handle with renewed determination, convinced nothing could scare me away, and walked through the opening, followed by Sebastian. Casually, the door clicked shut behind us, and instantly, I couldn't see through the tendrils of fog curling around my strong, cool body. I hadn't even realized how cold it was outside until these rhythmic waves of heat rushed and ebbed over me, pulling me into a state of contented trance.

"Mmmm," I automatically exhaled, as my muscles began relaxing, and I fell into Sebastian's furry side.

He growled at me, then urged me to stand on two feet again. I scowled at him, annoyed that he wouldn't let me collapse into his soft fur, and just sleep.

After all; who cared about Clara? All that mattered was the sensation of heat, which overcame and mesmorised my senses in a beautiful, transient way. I glanced around my cloud of dreams, only to notice that Sebastian had already left me behind in the darkness encoiling me.

"Sebastian?" I called out, even as my eyes adjusted to the gloom.

He wasn't near to me. I could see him a little ways off, in a beautiful, jewel-encrusted dome, which glittered like stars on a moonlit sky. However, this scenario was not the only thing which captured my attention.