Chapter Seven

Beginne am Anfang

"Miss Munrow, do you know a Daniel Mires?" Saunders asked, looking in his note book for Daniel's name.

"Yes, I do." she answered. "Why? Has something happened?

"Ah, yes." Saunders replied. Rowen waited for him to elaborate.

"He was severely beaten." Riggs supplied, Rowen flinched.

"Beaten?"

"Yes, to a pulp." Riggs smirked. Rowen narrowed her eyes at him.

"What he's trying to say is, your friend?" Rowen nodded agreeing with the detectives question of their relationship. "He was beaten and left for his father to find on the front yard of his home."

Rowen's eyes widened. "And you came to me because?"

"You know who did it." Riggs growled. She guessed they were going to play 'Good cop, bad cop' with her. Riggs being the bad cop. But she couldn't help think that this was slightly personal for him.

"Excuse me?" she stared at Riggs. "Are you insinuating something Detective."

"No! No, he isn't."

"Yes I am." Riggs glared at his partner. "Do you know a Liam Raffaello?" Rowen didn't know his last name, so she wasn't going to admit to anything. She shook her head no. This cop was after Liam and she wasn't going to hand him over.

"No I don't."

"Don't lie!" Riggs growled. "Would you like to be charged with hindering an investigation."

Rowen glared at him. "If you want to charge me, then go ahead. I do not know anyone named Liam Raffaello! I know Daniel yes, we had a brief relationship that ended over a month ago. He wasn't pleased with it and hasn't spoken to me since. I don't know why anyone would want to beat him, and I think this conversation is over." She stood, walking around the end of the table. "You know where the doors are."

Gail was sitting at her desk as she walked out, her head peeking over the large reception desk.

"Make sure they leave." she said to Gail, getting a nod in response.

Rowen walked into her office, shutting the door behind her. Her heart was racing in her chest as she went over everything that happened. She just lied to police without a second thought! Why?! She knew why, Riggs was right, she did know who beat Daniel.

Rowen pulled her phone out of her desk draw quickly dialling his number, he answered after three rings as he usually did.

"Rowen. I wasn't expecting your call."

"Liam!" she collapsed into the chair hearing his voice. "Liam somethings happened."

"What's wrong? Is it Daniel again?"

"No, well its about him, but he hasn't done anything." she ran a hand through her hair. "Liam I need you to tell me the truth okay?"

"Rowen..."

"I know there are things you don't want to tell me. I get it. But I need the truth on this please." she begged.

"I'll try."

It was good enough for her. "Did you bash Daniel?"

His hesitation was all the answer she needed, she was shocked when he actually answered her. "Yes."

"Jesus." she hugged. "Liam the cops were here."

"What did you say?"

"The cops-"

"I heard that, I meant what did you say to them!"

Rowen flinched at his tone, she wasn't used to him talking to her like that. She hated to admit it, but it hurt that he didn't trust her not to say anything. She quickly got angry, it wasn't her fault that the bloody cops where there! She hadn't bashed anyone!

"Hey! It's not my fault they were here!" She snapped. "You brought this on me, you! Not that it matters any, I told them nothing! I didn't know anything so how could I?! I only found out your last name because Riggs mentioned it!"

"Riggs?"

"One of the cops! You know what, this conversation is over too." she glared at her reflection in her computer screen. "You can handle this because I'm done!" she yelled as she hung up on him.

Screw him!

Well she supposed that she wouldn't have the chance to do that now. But how dare blame her when he was the one going around bashing people. Sure Daniel deserved it after what he had done, but to beat him bad enough that the cops were involved was over doing it.

Riggs had it out for Liam, and part of her wanted to know why. But the part of her that was hurt and angry wanted nothing to do with him anymore. She didn't care that the cops already knew his name, they might have known his name but they didn't know that it was Liam that bashed Daniel.

So the question was, how did they know Liam?

She glared at her phone when it pinged that she had a message.

FORGIVE ME. L

Rowen scoffed, she wasn't going to give him a pass this time. NOT THIS TIME. R

She didn't care if he replied or not, she wasn't going to be swayed as easily as last time. She could understand him being upset before, the picture wasn't in her favour, but he had realised this and sent her flowers and asked for forgiveness. This time he spoke to her like she had called the cops herself, like she had betrayed him.

The hurt she felt over such a stupid thing was slightly worrying to her. She really shouldn't be so upset that he didn't trust her, he didn't know her very well so she guessed it could be understandable. But that didn't matter, all she knew was that she was hurt because of him.