47.

Dedicated to @MorningHorse for being a great reader and for also obviously loving the Ironman suit. I mean, come on. It's fabulous, honey! ;D

****

Charlie looked back towards the entrance of the hospital where someone had called his name.

A pale girl wearing a hospital gown with big brown eyes was staring back at him with surprise. She had her blonde hair rolled up into a bun on the top of her head. She looked hesitant like she was afraid to step outside the hospital's doors and instead stood there inside, while nervously scratching her hands.

Charlie couldn't help but notice how weak she looked. There were dark circles around her eyes.

After a second of confusion, Charlie realized that he was looking at none other than Janette.

Janette. The sarcastic but rain-loving Janette. Janette, who teased him because it amused her, who accused him of reading porn. Janette, whom he had talked to almost every day for the past few months. Janette, who had told him that she liked him back. Janette, who was fighting cancer...

And Charlie bit his lower lip to keep himself from tearing up. Seeing her like this, so weak and so tired, tore him apart.

====

Jane was walking towards the entrance of the hospital, wondering if Charlie had already shown up or not.

She wasn't allowed to go outside. She needed a permit for that. So she stood there by the reception, pretending not to notice the lady behind the desk, and stared outside the glass doors, looking for any signs of a boy she hadn't seen.

She waited for a few minutes, standing there, her legs staring to ache a little. Chemotherapy was exhausting and so were its after effects.

Only a few seconds later, she saw a guy with messy brown hair walk up to the doors. He looked about her age, maybe slightly older. For a moment, Jane wondered if this was actually Charlie...

She couldn't see his features quite clearly but she did see the security guard stop him. He looked confused, sort of lost.

Before she realized it, Jane had started walking towards the doors. She had to find out if this was Charlie or not. She would just call out to him and if he responded, she would know it's him. If he didn't, she would simply walk inside again.

The more closer she got, the better she saw him. He was taller than her with square shoulders. His eyes were almost the same color as hers, but more of a darker brown and she detected faint eye bags underneath them. He looked like he hadn't slept and hadn't put in much effort in his attire.

She opened the door slowly, holding onto the handle tightly.

"Charlie?"

He looked her way and their eyes met. He was frozen for a few seconds, looking her up and down in confusion, his brow furrowed. Then, Jane caught the recognition in his eyes and his eyes widened slightly at the sight of her.

She saw him frown again and this time, it was more of a sad expression than a surprised one. He bit his lower lip and turned towards her.

"Jane."