44.

Dedicated to @biexburbae and congratulations on getting your first dedication! ^.^ (At least, I hope it is your first dedication. XD) Thank you so much for reading my book and you deserve so many more dedications! ^.^

****

"Where are you going to stay in Vancouver?"

As Charlie stuffed a T-shirt in his duffle bag, he rolled his eyes at his mother's several questions.

"I have friends," he lied. "I'll manage somehow."

His mother standing beside his messy bed, nervously twisted her hands. "What's the big emergency? Do you really need to go right away?"

He zipped his duffle bag and turned to face her. "A close friend of mine is sick so I need to be there. I'll call you and let you know when I get there."

"Well, can a mother at least know when her son is coming back home?"

"In a few days," he mumbled as he picked up his bag and walked past his mother and out his bedroom.

Charlie was sure it was going to take more than just a few days. But there was no time to explain. His parents wouldn't understand. No one would. They would probably laugh and tell him that he was wasting his time for someone he hadn't even seen.

But they wouldn't understand that he loved her and that falling in love with someone wasn't absurd, even if you hadn't seen them.

Charlie believed that Jane and him had something much deeper than most couples do and that they wouldn't have had this strong a connection if they were actually physically together. Since they were apart, they had established a strong connection that had nothing to do with physical touch.

And she had cancer...

As Charlie opened the fridge, he blinked back the tears that threatened to spill and grabbed a can of Red Bull to help him stay awake and focused when he was driving.