Chapter 4 : Audition for Musical

At the theatre, you sat at the corner of the the seats, feeling nervous while watching some of the people auditioned. For the whole audition, Ms MacDee had been criticicising and strike out every applicant. You swallowed hard. Just then, you did not notice that someone sat beside you.

"Hey Ashley," Zac greeted her.

"Oh,hi," You briefly greeted him.

"Are you here to audition?" Zac asked you.

You nodded slightly while focusing on the stage. Zac looked at you and chuckled. You turned your head to him.

"Why are you laughing?" You asked him.

"Look at you. You look pale and are sweating. Are you nervous?" Zac chuckled while taking out his handkerchief to wipe your sweat.

"My heart is about to explode. Maybe I shouldn't audition," You got up and want to backed out but Zac grabbed your arm.

"Hey, relax. It'll be fine. Besides, I think you can do it," Zac reassured you.

Zac gave a warm smile and you suddenly felt relieved. You sat down beside him.

"Are you here to audition too?" You asked him.

"I want to but I can't," Zac told you.

"Why?" You asked him again.

"I've always been Joe's understudy for the musicals," Zac said with a sad tone.

"So did you ever get to perform...?" You looked at him.

He did not answer and you already knew the answer to that. He noticed the gloomy atmosphere and quickly changed his facial expression.

"But don't worry. I'll be able to perform someday," He smiled  widely.

You gave a small smile but still sympathise towards him. Suddenly, you heard Demi's name being called out. You looked at the stage and saw Demi glamorously take control of the stage.

"Miss Lovato, are you ready?" Ms MacDee asked her.

"Am I ready? Ms MacDee, I'm always ready," Demi put her hair at the back and positioned herself.

"Okay. Whenever you are ready, you can start," Ms MacDee said.

Demi turned to Selena and Selena nodded. Selena snapped her finger and all the lights went out. Then one of the lights focused on her. She started to read her script with passion. You were astounded by her acting skills.

"Wow..she's good," You complimented.

"She's good but..not for that role," Zac told you.

"What do you mean?" You looked at him, confused.

"She needs to be more classic...more feminine-romantic type..The way she sings is too strong, she needs to be able to bring the audience into the song," He analysed Demi.

You just nodded and turned to Demi. After Demi ended her audition, she waited for her comment.

"....Quite well-done but you need to more into the character. But overall, good job," Ms MacDee commented.

"So did I get Juliet's role? I mean, there's no one to audition for that role right? Besides I'm the best here," She bragged herself.

"I'm sorry, Miss Lovato. But I have one last person to audition. Miss Ashley Truscot," She called your name.

"Well, it's your turn. Do your best!" Zac gave her a fighting spirit.

"T..Thanks," You started to get nervous.