Chapter 21: The Breakfast Club

Start from the beginning

A lot has changed over the course of last year and my relationship to my sister had been affected as well.

Conversing with Ryan the way I did it almost felt natural. Like we've known each other for years. Like we've had these sort of conversations before. These little heart to heart's.

It actually felt nice to have a little comfortable talk with Ryan. Honestly. I haven't had one of those in some time. Just sitting together with a friend, talking and drinking coffee. Ryan was listening intently to every word I uttered. Not interrupting me or reasoning with me. And it just became clear to me that I actually really really missed these conversations. With Jo gone and Logan getting more overprotective there hadn't been a chat like this one I could actually enjoy. Light and carefree.

And someone actually listening to my every word felt like a bit of the weight was taken off my chest.

Huh, I wasn't that boring after all, I thought.

\\\\\

Friends were something awesome. Unless they decided to leave all the work to yourself. "I really need to get new friends," I stated out loud when I turned my back to them to head inside. When the guys had arrived moments ago we decided to have breakfast outside seeing as it was such a sunny day. They had gotten here earlier than expected so I hadn't prepared anything yet.

"Hey, we heard you!" Tony shouted after me.

"That was the point!" I shouted back and went to the kitchen. Man, my friends could be such douches. I decided to start with the french toast and pancakes. I was doing both because half of them preferred french toast over pancakes. And the other way around.

I was wondering what type Ryan was so I decided to go outside and ask him. Outside wasn't far away from the kitchen so if anything would burn then there wouldn't be any collateral damage. "Hey Ryan!" I called out to him from the door, pointing the spatula at him. "Are you a pancakes type of guy or a french toast type of guy?"

He smirked, but it was different from his player kind of smirk, in fact that seemed to have vanished a while ago. "I'm a waffle type of guy," he answered without missing a beat.

Did he want to kill me? I couldn't do all three. My eyes widened as the guys agreed. They were behaving like it just occurred to them that there was a third possibility. "I hate you," I growled.

"Liz, can we have-"

I cut Liam off, pointing my spatula at him. "No," I said sternly. "If you want to have them make them yourself. I'm not doing all three. Be grateful for two choices. Adding a third would mean the last time any of you would have breakfast at my place."

"You're right," Jere stood up and got on his knees in front of me. I narrowed my eyes at him, suspicious. "Oh, dear Elizabeth, thank you for everything you've done for us. For the food in our stomachs and-" he said all this in a playful manner, but still there was something real behind all that.

I cut him off, getting back inside and calling over my shoulder, "You can kiss my ass!" Their booming laughter was heard even inside as I continued to cook for them.

And as if life wasn't annoying enough the doorbell rang... for ten seconds. I groaned as I went to open the door. Tori and Nate were standing in front of me. "Sorry, I forgot my keys," she said.

I shrugged and hurried over to the stove, checking for any damage. "Mhh, smells good. You doing breakfast?" Nate asked as they joined me in the kitchen.

I just nodded, praying that they would leave me alone and not for them to join us outside. "Yeah, but I hope you already ate, because this is for the guys," I replied, jaw clenched, shoulders tense. "And there's only so much time and food." Mom and dad had been lounging in the living room and she decided to join us for this little conversation that wasn't any of her business.