Truths

Chapter 23

★·.·✶·.·★·.·✶·.·★
Lissy

The evening was fun and light hearted, wine supplied the appetite of a playful game of Articulate, followed by a delicious meal that wet the palate of all who consumed.

"Char could I have a word," Lissy cooed across the table as her sister was deep in conversation with the rest of the table.

"What's up?"

"In private." I said in a more direct tone."

"Oohhhh Sister Secrets." The table erupted in laughter and giggles and chanted together.

"We'll be back in a minute." Char shushed the group. "Sure, do you want to sit in my bedroom?"

I nodded my head as she led me into the luxurious bedroom, that she shared with her very attractive boyfriend.

"What's up Lis, if it's about you and Jacques; I'm over it. Honestly, don't want to be fighting anymore. It's so emotionally draining." She put her hands on her hips and looked suddenly exhausted.

"Aw, that's good to know sweetie." I'm sorry about all of that, I was just being very selfish. I wasn't thinking with my head at all." I shook my head in disapproval.

Desire can blur all lines of clarity.

"Lis, you're my sister. Whatever you do, no matter how good or bad it is. I'll always find a way to forgive you." Char clasped her hands around her mine, the warm sensation calmed my nerves for what I was about to tell her.

I knew she was a little tipsy, from her rouged cheeks and adorable smile.

How could I ever hurt you? I thought to myself.

"Char, there's a reason why I came this evening." I rubbed my hand against my sister's back, lovingly and fought the urge to fall apart in front of her.

A moment of deep inner silence, occured as I thought hard to find a gentle way of saying what I wanted to before the tears set in. But I realised that the moment was too long, it gave away my message.

"And why's that?" She raised her eyebrow in response to my vague sentence.

"It's to do with Mum." Char, knew that we rarely referred to our own mother by her role in the family; we usually called her Stephanie. It made her feel as young at heart as she felt.

"Okay, I think I know what you're going to say," a melancholic expression tainted her pretty face, "I had a feeling this day was coming sooner than I could expect." She remained emotionless for a minute, before a tear slide down her cheek.

"Her time came, you know." A confused frown crinkled across Char's forehead, before she realised the reality of what I was implying.

"Not sure, how I'll manage each day without her being here, she made it difficult to love her but I always did, even when I told her I didn't." Char's eyes welled up with a puddle of tears, I fought to stop my own from copying hers; but it seemed too late.

"She was a really good Mum, Char. She loved us all so much. I know she wouldn't want us crying about her being gone. I just know it." Char and I were entangled in a tight and necessary hug.

A cold chill filled the room, as I realised that she was really dead. Gone. No longer a phone call away. Sometimes you never really realise what you're saying until you stop for a minute.

How am I going to live life without the person that bought me into my own?

"We'll get through all this, you know. Me and you, we're made of the strong stuff." I kissed her forehead and squeezed her tight.

"Maybe" Her eyes filled with sadness, "I just need time to process all of this, it feels like my life is spinning out of control lately." She sighed as if the whole world was balanced on her shoulders.

I felt helpless.

"I will always be here for you my darling sister." I wrapped my arms around her and tried to convince myself that too.

"I hope so." She whispered pitifully.

"I know so and I'm sorry for..."

"Lissy, somethings are better left unsaid." She smiled lovingly.

"God, I wish I was as strong as you,"

"I'll teach you, one day." Char placed her hand on top of mine and for a minute I believed her, that everything would be fine.

★·.·✶·.·★·.·✶·.·★

Please comment,
vote & add to reading lists;
if you enjoy reading this book.