CHAPTER THIRTEEN- EVERYDAY LIFE

I stood outside and wiped the sweat off my face. I heard the door open, I turned to see Charlotte coming outside. "How could you let this happen!" She yelled at me. "I tried... I tried to save him, Charlotte." I said back to her. "But you didn't! You're the worst father in the world! I can't believe you!" I heard her say. Her words stung so bad because I knew it was all true. "You weren't there... You don't get it!" I said to her. "Oh, I don't get it! Nope, your the one who doesn't get it! You never even spent time with him! I bet all you know about that kid is what day they were born!" Charlotte yelled at me. "Charlotte I'm sorry." I said trying to calm her down. "If you were really sorry, Luke wouldn't have been dying right now!" She said. I looked down at the ground and I could feel my eyes stinging.

"You really think I wanted all this to happen! I didn't, I'm trying to make this work, Charlotte!" I said to her. "This family never worked out, Aaron! You were always messing things up!" Charlotte yelled at me. "Shut up, Charlotte!" I finally yelled back at her. "You don't even understand! This was a chance to be a family, and we were doing that. I'm tired of you saying I'm the one messing it up! I'm not, you are!" I yelled at her. "That's all a big lie!" She said as she ran back into the FBI department.

I stood outside and just cried some more. I felt the air start to cool down. I needed to be there for Luke, especially if Charlotte wasn't going too. I walked inside and saw Hailey standing on the other side of the table holding things the Mackenzie. Everyone was quiet. On my way into the room I had seen that Charlotte had taken Izzy out of the room. I'm guessing she didn't want Izzy to see this. But, this was the world now. This was just everyday life, and we were all going to start to get used to it before we knew it.

"How's he doing?" I asked. I was scared to death for Luke. If the bullet had shot him right in the spine he would be paralyzed. And then he wouldn't have a chance to survive, so we might as well kill him so he doesn't get bit. "...Okay..." Mackenzie said. I looked in the trash can she had next to her and I saw lots of blood and a few metal pieces. "Is he gonna make it?" I asked Mackenzie. "...He wasn't shot in the back, you're lucky... He was shot right next to his spine." Mackenzie said. I felt relieved. "But is he gonna make it?" I asked her again. "...I'm not a surgeon... The most I ever did was give someone a shot in an ambulance...." Mackenzie said. "She's gonna try..." Hailey said. Mackenzie looked over at Hailey giving her a 'I can't' look.

"I thank you so much, you don't even know. Just the fact that you're trying, that's enough for me..." I said. Even if Luke didn't survive, I was glad that Mackenzie was willing to try to save him. "...No problem..." Mackenzie said as she took bloody gloves off and threw them into the trash. Mackenzie walked away from the table for a second. She looked freaked out, like she couldn't handle all this. I walked away from Luke on the table. I still felt like it was all my fault. Was it? Charlotte thought it was.

John walked outside. "What are you doing out here?" Becky asked him. "Oh, I didn't even know you were out here..." John said to her. "Shouldn't you be in there helping them..." Becky said to him. "...I was, but ... It just got gross..." John said to her. Becky laughed a little at that. "How long have you known them?" Becky asked John. "Ever since Aaron started working for my group in the company..." John said. "How long have you been a cop?" John asked Becky. "Ever since I got out of college..." Becky said to John. "Have you always worked in this building?" John asked her. "Yeah... I have." Becky said. "It's like a second home to me now." Becky said. "Thanks for letting us stay with you." John said to her. "I could kick you all out any second if I wanted too..." Becky said to him.

"Something tells me you wouldn't..." John said to her. "And how do you know that?" Becky asked him laughing a little. "In the short 2 weeks I've known you, I can just tell you won't." John said to her. "What happened, how did Luke get shot?" Becky asked him. "I'm not even sure... All I know is we were running, trying to get away from someone and then... He was just hit..." John said to Becky. "Wow..." Becky said. "Who was that person who walked in with you guys?" Becky asked. "...Oh...that was Joe... He has a group. He wants us to let them join us..." John said. "Why don't we let them join us then..." Becky said as she looked up at the sign that she helped hang earlier. "...Seriously, you guys made a sign?" John said laughing.

Becky punched his shoulder a little. "No one is going to find this place unless we have a sign!" Becky said to John. "Yeah, sure, I guess so." John said laughing a little at Becky. "I'm guessing you made that sign didn't you!" John said joking around. "You know me, I'm just so creative." Becky said to him laughing a little. "Becky, Becky, Becky. Who knew Sheriff Sunny had a creative side." John said to her. "Nope. I'm just the average Becky I guess." Becky said laughing a little. John laughed a little. "You're anything but average, believe me." John said. Becky looked at him. "And you're just average!" Becky said laughing a little. John laughed.

"...I'm not kidding.... We are the luckiest people on earth to have this place." John said. Becky laughed a little. "We're gonna make it." John said. "Oh really!" Becky said. "Yeah... I can see everyone in a year, we're gonna make it in this world. At least as long as we have you." John said to her. Becky rolled her eyes a little. "Sheriff Sunny sure does have an attitude." John said to her laughing a little. "Hey!" Becky said as she slapped him a little. "Shut up!" She said. "No!" John said to her. They both started laughing. John looked at Becky and she looked at him. They started to get closer, and before Becky had a chance to say something sassy, John kissed her. Becky quickly pushed away from him. "No kissing Sheriff Sunny!" She said laughing a little. "Sure thing." John said as he put his arm around Becky.