CHAPTER ELEVEN- LIFELESS FOOTSTEPS

“How do we know you're not gonna kill us!” I yelled at Joe. Joe held up his arms and revealed he had no weapons. “Simple as that.” Joe said as he started walking away from us. “You’re names Joe?” I asked him sounding a little less angry. “Yeah, yours is Aaron, and that’s John, and oh, that’s Luke.” Joe said as he pointed to each one of us. “How do you know our names!?” John asked Joe sounding mad. “I think we should focus on saving your boy, huh?” Joe said to me. Joe walked around another corner and we followed him. “Joe, your back.” I heard a voice say. I turned the corner and saw a group of about 20 people all sitting on the ground of standing up. “What is this place?!” I yelled at them. “Relax…” I heard Joe say. “How can I relax when my son was just shot and I don’t know where I am!” I said to Joe. “We’re gonna get you back home… Back to the FBI department, then your little doctor friend can fix up your boy.” Joe said to me.

    How did Joe know all this? How did he know our location and the people of our group? I looked around at the people in Joe’s group. They looked like they had nothing. A few of them had backpacks but they didn’t look that filled. “Well then let me get back home!” I said to Joe. I looked down at Luke I didn’t see any blood coming from him. “We are gonna let you go home, but…” Joe started. “I need to help my group, we are starving. You guys have food and shelter, and considering the sign that your group members just put up, you all have a safe center.” Joe said to me. “We do have a safe center, but right now we aren’t gonna focus on helping your people. We need to save his son.” John said to Joe. “I get it, I get it. But, any minute now, that pack you all saw, its gonna be outside this building. It won’t be safe. So i'm gonna offer to get you there safely.” Joe said.

    “Then show us how to get there! I’m not wasting anymore time!” I said. “Come on.” Joe said as he started wave his hand in a direction. John and I followed Joe as he led us to a red door. Joe held it open for us and I looked outside the door and saw a metal bridge that led to the building across from us. The bridge was pretty high up and was quite narrow. I looked down and saw the pack slowly making their way towards us of in the distance. I heard growls and the lifeless footsteps of the risers that were walking around by themselves on the sides of the streets. I watched as one riser stumbled out into the street and fell on its side. I still was getting used to the idea of dead people walking on the streets.

    “Right in here.” Joe said as he held the door open for us. John stepped in the building and held up his gun. I looked down at Luke again. Joe ran ahead of us and led us down several flights of stairs. I didn’t even know where Luke had been shot. That was the scariest part. What if he was dead already? What was I going to tell Charlotte? How would I live with myself? Before I knew it, we were opening a door on ground level and were walking outside. A bunch of risers turned and looked at us and started to slowly move to us. Joe started to speed up more. “Do you even have a weapon!?” I heard John ask him. Joe pulled out a knife, “Does this count?”, Joe said as he stabbed a riser’s head.

    John gave Joe a ‘Ok, ok!’ look and started to run again. I still wasn’t used to the fact that Luke was shot, and if he could be dead any minute. “We’ll be there any minute, how’s he doing?” Joe asked me. “Uh...I--” I couldn’t even finish my sentence. “How’s he doing?” Joe asked again trying to get an answer out of me. “Good…” I said. But truly, I didn’t know how Luke was doing.