FLASHBACK- CARTWHEELS & MATH HOMEWORK

"I'm a princess, Mommy!" Emily said while she wore her purple dress with a pink boa. "I see that!" Charlotte said with a laugh while she cooked dinner on the stove. It was 5 months before the Acomba Virus became a serious national issue. Luke was sitting at the table working on math homework. Charlotte stirred the noodles in the pot and then heard the phone ring. "Hey." Charlotte said when she picked up the phone. "Hey." I said back. "I know you were planning for tonight to be a family night, but, I can't help it. They are making me work really late tonight, Charlotte." I said to her hoping she wouldn't get mad. "Are you sure there isn't a way that you could come spend some time with the kids?" Charlotte said back to me through the phone. Luke turned his head and watched as Charlotte talked on the phone to me.

Luke already knew that whenever he heard Charlotte say "spend some time with the kids" that I wouldn't be coming home. "No, I can't..." I told Charlotte. I heard Charlotte sigh over the phone. "Okay... I get it, but promise that this weekend you will spend some time with them?" Charlotte said. "Yeah I promise you, Charlotte, I will." I said back to her. "Ok, I'll let you go now. Bye, love you." Charlotte said as I heard her hang up the phone before I could even say "I love you" back to her.

"How's school going, Luke? Did you do good on that test?" Charlotte asked him. "I did ok... I just did normal, I guess..." Luke replied. "You're teacher e-mailed me today, Luke." Charlotte said. "Wait, what?" Luke looked up surprised. "She's a little worried about how you are doing in her class... You know math is a really important class." Charlotte told Luke. "I guess math just isn't my thing..." Luke replied back. "Ok... But are you trying?" Charlotte asked. Luke seemed to get mad at Charlotte thinking that he didn't try in math. "You ok?" Charlotte asked looking at him. Luke stood up and walked out of the room. "Where are you going, Luke?" Charlotte asked. Charlotte heard the front door slam shut.

Charlotte looked over and saw Emily dancing around. Charlotte smiled a little bit. Emily was singing along to songs on the TV. Charlotte wondered where Luke was going. He was probably going to his friend's house. "Mommy, I can do a cartwheel!" Emily said sounding proud of herself. 'Really?" Charlotte said trying sound surprised to please Emily. Emily tried to do a cartwheel but just fell over on the ground. Charlotte wanted to laugh but she knew she couldn't. "Good job, Emily!" Charlotte said laughing a little.