Chapter 9: Man to Man Talk

Jairon's POV

"Ano bang kalokohan yan? May crush ka ba sa babaeng 'yon?" I found it absurd that he looks so serious as he told me not to join.

Seb looked at me, no trace of mirth can be seen in his eyes. "I know that the reason you chose that girl was because you thought she won't join, tama?"

"You could pass as a mind reader, alam mo ba 'yon?" but Seb was right. That was the reason why I agreed to Rye and Tim's whim.

Malay ko ba naman kasi na sasali pala yung nerd este maganda.

What the-?! Shit! Still wrong. Basta, si Eturalde. I had absolutely no idea that it was her.

"Didn't it ever occur to you that Sab just wanted you to fight for her that's why she joined? It's the only thing you lack. You don't fight for the things you want." sabi nya.

Now we're back to that topic.

"If you want freedom, why not ask your grandfather for it? I'm sure he'll grant it to you. You're his one and only heir, blood relative and family." Seb said the word as if it has more meaning.

"Ang tinuturing niyang pamilya ay yung business empire nya! He doesn't see me as his grandson, he sees me as the heir to his empire. The heir who must be trained well so that he can handle the company. Hah!" Disdain can be clearly heard in my tone.

In-emphasize ko pa yung 'grandson' as if it was some foreign language.

It's true. I'm like a puppet in a string controlled by my overbearing grandfather.

"Malay ba natin if he has other things planned for you. For your own good." pagpipilit pa niya.

"What? Having bodyguards like Eturalde outside the school to protect me? Not letting me choose what I want for myself? What I want to do in the future?" I sighed as I looked down at the students who looked like small ants from our location. "He wants to control my life, that's for sure." 

"Anyway, back to the original problem. Sasali ka ba or hindi?" Seb diverted their conversation. Alam kong hindi siya sanay na nagda-drama ko.

You were the one who started the serious conversation.

"I already said 'yes'. Hindi na ko pwedeng umatras pa. I may be a jerk sometimes, but I'm still a gentleman. You've never seen me humiliate a girl in front of many people and I won't start now with Eturalde." sabi ko na lang at para matigil na 'to.

"Okay. Hindi ko alam na may ganyan ka palang virtue sa buhay. Do you like her?" Seb asked and looked away again.

"'Her' who?" tanong ko. It took me a while before I realized who he was talking about.

Damn I'm so slow today. Iba na ata kapag gutom ako. Sino pa nga ba ang pinag-uusapan namin, edi si Sab!

"Oo naman!" sabi ko, so sure of myself. "Sobrang tagal na. You guys should've known a long time ago."

Bigla siyang lumingon sakin at sobrang laki ng mata nya.

"Oh, bakit ganyan kalaki yang mata mo?" tanong ko sa kanya.

Kataka-taka pa ba na may gusto ako kay Sab? I thought I had been obvious since we were kids?

"Seryoso?" tanong niya ulit habang nanlalaki pa rin ang mga mata.

"Oo nga eh!" sabi ko. 

Ang kulit mo! Pasalamat ka best friend kita.

"I'm sure magwawala ang magpinsan 'pag nalaman nila na may gusto ka kay Krizhia Eturalde." sabi ni Seb. Nakangiting aso siya ngayon.

"Oo naman noh. Alam mo na, she's my dream gir—"

I stopped when I heard the name he said.

Ano?!

"Anong Krizhia Eturalde?!" My voice was raised in outrage.

"Sino bang iniisip mo? We're talking about Krizhia and the pageant." Now he's all smiley, probably trying to hold back his laughter.

"The f*ck?! I was thinking about Sab. Why would I even have a thing for Eturalde?" I frowned at him and looked at him as if he was crazy or something.

"Jai..." sabi niya.

Here we go.

"You know I treat Sab as a sister more than how the dimwits  treat her as one. And especially you dahil hindi naman kapatid ang tingin mo sa kanya." sabi nya.

Just then, I remembered. He used to have an older sister. She was abducted as a baby and up until now, there had been no clue as to where she is and if she's still alive. We never got to meet Ate Kyrylle, but Seb still longed for the existence of his sister and Sab became the perfect replacement.

"And since I treat her as a sister and you're the person who likes her, pwede bang ipaglaban mo naman siya? Man up and confess your feelings. That's the only thing she wants from you." sabi ni Seb habang seryosong seryoso ang expression nya.

I'm a coward.'m afraid she'll leave me just like everyone else in my life.

Baka bigla din syang mawala kagaya ng parents ko.

"Pag-iisipan ko." sabi ko na lang bago tumayo.

 "Let's go eat. I'm hungry." I told him as I offered my hand.

"Hey, you two." narinig kong sabi ni Tim.

Here comes the two dimwits. Pero kahit ganyan yang mga yan, they're our true friends.

"Let's eat." sabi ni Rye. "I told you, Seb likes Eturalde."

"Shut up." sabi ni Seb na akala mo wala lang ang sinabi ni Rye.

The three of us were left surprise with his reaction. He looked disinterested.

"Thanks." – Seb.

"Seb..." tawag ko sa kanya. "...don't do that nonchalant thing. Hindi bagay sayo. Ngumiti ka na lang." then I grinned.

"What?" Seb asked innocently.

Damn! Di bagay kay Seb ang magpa-cool effect.

"You're doing it right now." Rye stated and the three of us laughed.

"Fine. Kumain na lang tayo." at itinulak na kami ni Seb papunta sa may pinto papasok ng building.

"Nga pala Jai." sabi ni Seb habang naglalakad na kami pababa ng hagdan.

"Hmmm?" sabi ko habang nakatingin sa binababaan namin.

"Sino kayang tinamaan ng bato kanina?" Tanong niya habang patuloy pa rin sa pagtutulak samin pababa ng hagdan.

Right. I grabbed a stone earlier and threw it off the roof.

"Whoever it was, I'm not sorry at all."

To be continued...