“I came here to apologize,” Nick began in a steady yet gentle voice. “I shouldn’t have let my temper take over me during practice. It was unfair and unethical.” He made a bow as a show of respect and said, “I’m sorry.”

     He looked up to see the others’ reactions. Henry, one of his victims, smiled and told him in a cheery voice, “Don’t worry too much about it, Cap. These are just some bruises and a sprain.” He glanced at his bandaged shoulder. “Nothing we don’t usually get during practice.”

     Allan, his other team mate added, “Yeah. This ankle sprain was nothing compared to that time when I fell off the stairs at home.” He grinned. “That hurt an awful lot.”

     The others laughed and Nick joined in the laughter. He said another apology then went on to ask about the extent of the damages. They told him and when Nick was about to leave, Allan remarked about the incidents surrounding his best friend.

     “So sorry about Rachelle, Nick. Just so you know, we don’t think she’s a disgrace or anything. And I’m pretty sure the two of you would work out your differences.”

     Everyone else nodded in agreement and Nick could only smile before he closed the door. News travelled fast, and St. James was only a short journey. This morning’s episode had most likely reached everybody’s ears by now. His hands had begun to clench again into fists and he tried to calm himself down. This day was probably the worst of his life.

     Before he knew it, he was climbing up the stairs and was on his way to the school’s rooftop where one of the smaller greenhouses was built. He seldom went there but he found out the first time that the place had a calming effect on him.

     The moment he opened the door to the rooftop, however, he realized that he wouldn’t be alone. Someone was already there, playing Ave Maria on the violin. He decided to listen for a few seconds. When he was about to leave, she missed a note, causing her to make that ear-grating sound on the violin. She growled and stomped her foot as she turned around to find him standing there, holding the door knob.

     Grace’s eyes widened and Nick surmised that she somehow looked like a cornered rabbit. Come to think of it, Grace could also be the person behind the letter and photos. She once found Rachelle’s journal and she probably read something there. Nick knew about Grace’s crush on him and he realized that attacking Rachelle because of him could also be the culprit’s motive. Nick stared at Grace again and decided against it. She didn’t look the type. Besides, after the stalking issue had been resolved, he had given up on Grace having any kind of malice in her bones.

     But it’s also possible that she was merely acting and trying to earn their trust. Right?

     He mentally shook his head. Today had just made him think that he was probably watching too much of his mother’s favorite dramas. Right then, he decided never to join his mom when he got bored again.

     She now had a hesitant smile on her face and he realized that he still hadn’t acknowledged her. He removed his hand on the door knob and walked towards her, one hand in his pocket.

     “Hi,” Nick greeted her.

     “Hello,” Grace replied.

     He reached the bench beside her and sat down.

     “Uh, I didn’t know you play the violin,” he said, pointing to the musical instrument in her hand.

     “Oh, it was something I learned a long way back,” she informed him. “This isn’t even mine. I just borrowed it from the Music Club.”