42; Dialogue Prompts

A/N: Here's a little update! It's something different this time. I hope you like it! Have a great day x

* . ⋆・゚。 . ・゚˚ . · · ✧

"Did you just flirt with me?"
-----

You laughed yet again at another one of Mark's hilarious stories. The ice in your glass clinked as your shoulders shook with giggles, and you placed your hand on the surface of the couch's back, making sure you didn't accidentally disturb the couple who were beginning to make out.

It was Sean's birthday, which obviously calls for a full out party filled with loads of beer and, of course, the godly Costco pizza. You just emerged from the kitchen with a drink in hand - without alcohol since you were the designated driver tonight - when you bumped into Mark. The pink that tinted your cheeks wasn't evident, much to your liking, and you were also glad that your nerves weren't messing with you when he pulled you in for a hug.

"Oh, how's Chica?" You asked, a big grin still plastered on your face from your previous round of laughter.

Mark's eyes lit up at the sound of his beloved dog's name. "She's doing great! I love her so much, she's such a good girl," He straightened his posture, before slightly leaning to his left, placing his forearm on the same couch. "Except when she poops in my room."

You let out another chuckle. "So, does she scare away any of your lady friends that you bring over?"

He laughed when you wiggled your eyebrows before shaking his head. "Nah, probably only when I bring a girl I like- she gets jealous sometimes."

"Aww,"

"Well," He smirked, tilting his head. "I guess you shouldn't come over, then."

You felt your face heat up once more, and this time, you weren't sure if it was noticeable or not. Your expression changed to one of surprise, while Mark stood there, wearing a shit-eating grin.

"Did you just flirt with me?"

He shrugged, and his eyes shined with amusement. "Well, I kinda have been for the past year now."

Your jaw dropped, and your hand immediately flew to cover it. A loud eruption of laughter caused you to avert your eyes for a moment, with Mark following as well.

"I- Oh my god," You breathed, once you've turned back toward Mark and gathered the courage to look him in the eye. "Am I that dense?"

His eyes squinted as his laughter rung through the steamy air, clearly not bothered by the fact that you haven't caught on to his motives.

"I'm sorry, Mark," You said, biting your lip.

He waved it off, eyes softening as he gave you a warm smile. "Don't worry about it."

More yelling came from the kitchen and both your heads snapped towards it, before chuckling quietly at your friends. Sean could be seen chewing what you assumed was some sort of bread, with arms high in the air and parts of the food sticking out of his mouth, while everyone around him cheered.

You quickly stole a glance at Mark and thought about how lucky you were for knowing him and how happy he made you with all of his shenanigans and constant support.

And maybe because of that, you gained a sudden burst of confidence.

"Hey, Mark?"

He turned his head towards you, letting out a small, "Hm?" as he raised his eyebrows.

"I still would love to come over sometime."

His lips broke into a grin that matched yours, and he pushed his hair back with one hand.

"I'm looking forward to it, babe."

* . ⋆・゚。 . ・゚˚ . · · ✧

"Oh my god, you're in love with her."
-----

The room was silent.

Your throat felt dry, so you swallowed your own saliva - hoping that you could also consume the prickling pain in your chest and the burning tears that threatened to spill and dissolve it all in your stomach - but no, you were going to feel everything for who knows how long.

Mark sat on the edge of the bed, his head hung low; low like his actions. Strands of his vibrant, red hair fell loosely onto the side of his face, and you had to focus somewhere else because it reminded you of the day he dyed it and the other things he did afterwards, when he should've been home, eating dinner with you on the couch then holding you in his firm arms like he always did.

Your soft voice broke through the quiet air. "I just- I don't- I don't understand, Mark."

He slightly lifted his head for a moment, his eyes hesitantly meeting yours, before both of you looked away.

"Why? Why would you..." Your breath hitched, not even wanting to say the word out loud, as if it was like a curse word for a kid.

"...Cheat?"

It came out as a whisper, but Mark was able to catch it anyways, and he winced.

You gazed at the plain ceiling before closing your eyes. Weren't you two happy? Well, you definitely were, and it sure seemed like Mark was. You were so deep in love; constantly blurting those three words, whether it be through a giggle, as a goodbye, a greeting, or even a yell. Now, you wondered if any of those words were empty - empty like your trust, and soon to be your side of the closet.

Suddenly, it came to you. That's why he came back with a grin and closed the door with a content sigh. Your eyes shot open and you turned towards him once more.

"Oh my god, you're in love with her."

His head snapped up quickly at this. Your fingers began to tremble as the realization dawned on you, and the familiar feeling of wetness in your eyes started up again.

"Y-You're- you're in love with her." You repeated, voice wavering and eyebrows slowly furrowing.

Mark's heart clenched ever so slightly at the sight of you. Your once bright, dreamy eyes that he loved were now overcast with shadows of hurt. He was stupid, beyond stupid. He should've broken up with you first - but why didn't he? Was he scared? Scared of hurting you, knowing that he couldn't handle it? But, God, what he did has done ten times more damage. He broke your trust, and with the shattered pieces, it pierced your skin and caused you even more pain. Everything was ruined.

The tears flowed freely now, and you didn't even bother wiping them away, letting them drip to the floor instead as if to leave marks to show what he's done to your relationship. Even now, his mouth remained wide like his eyes, although nothing came out.

You gasped, taking in a deep breath from the tense atmosphere that began to form in the room. You stared at Mark long and hard, somewhat surprised that he had absolutely nothing to say, when usually he was always so loud and talking - even if it was utter nonsense.

You made your way towards the door. With one last glance at Mark, you told him something he wouldn't forget.

"You're a really good actor, Mark. Maybe you should use your skills for something good next time."

And with that, you were gone.