Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Did you hear that?" Aido demanded, turning to Ruka. Ruka nodded. "She had the nerve!" Kaname remained silent. His mind preoccupied with Yuki and this new attitude. He had seen the circles under her eyes and the emptiness that haunted her brown eyes.

"-Sama?" He snapped about of his thoughts and turned to Aido. "Kaname-sempai? What do you think of it?" Kaname spared the group a microscopic smile.

"It does not bother me." Kaname answered smoothly.

"Of course not…" Ruka mumbled, "She’s your dear girl…"

"That she is…" Kaname replied, only fuelling Ruka's jealousy and anger.

"There's no doubt, Yuki-san is different…" Ichijo speculated, "She seems sadder. More serious. And more fatigued than normal…Humans are so fragile…"

Everyone in the room agreed. Only Ichijo and Kaname seemed to wish to do something about Yuki's new behaviour.

Yuki rested on the fountain edge. As she closed her eyes, Kaname's pained face flashed into her mind once more. Yuki silenced an anguished cry at the image. She shook her head roughly then fell back into the cold water.

"Graceful," Zero drawled as he stepped from the shadows. Yuki didn't look up or pull herself from the water. He took her place on the edge. "What is wrong?" Yuki turned her eyes to him.

"Nightmares is all it is…" Yuki turned her eyes away from him to the tree line. Unwillingly, Kaname's face flashed before her again. His hand outstretched. Pain written in his handsome features. Yuki closed her eyes completely and willed the image away.

"Must be some nightmares," Yuki made no response. Instead stood from the fountain, uncaring that she was drenched and walked toward the headmaster's home. "What are you doing?"

"Zero, take over patrol, please…" Yuki pleading, letting some of her old self resurface. Her eyes pleading with him to relent and not question her. Zero nodded with a sigh. Yuki spared him a smile and ran in the direction of her father's house.

She removed her key from the inside of her shirt and slipped inside. Yuki headed straight for the library she was rarely in. She pushed open the door and looked through the books. An aged journal hidden in the very back, pushed between a health book and a book about vampire hunters' history. Yuki pulled the book from its resting place and quietly slipped back out. She locked the door back. She leaned against the post and opened the aged book.

Property of Kaname Kuran. Yuki's eyes widened and began to read the first passage:

I am alone. She has died; sacrificed herself for the very beings that will now hunt us. Given her precious blood to every single one and torn out her own heart to make their weapons…

Why would she do such a thing? I told her I had planned to do it. Why had she taken my place? Is it possibly because she loved me? Just as I had loved her…I've never experienced hurt of this level…pain of this level in all my life. Could this be what humans feel when their beloved one dies? The pain is unbearable. I don't believe I should ever move on…

Yuki blinked her tears away and turned the page. A later date, five years from the past date, greeted her.

It seems…that I will be married soon. I'm elated, but at the same time afraid. Will I meet her expectations? I love her. I know this is true. I would not marry her if not. I still cannot fully forget my first. She who taught me love existed and that I could hold it in my hands. Only to cruelly rip it away as I had planned to do to her. Akio…forgive me. I shall always love you.

Dawn rose, Yuki sighed and closed the small journal. She slipped it into her skirt pocket and ran toward her dorm.