Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Kaname Kuran was awoke by a hard slap to his arm. His brown eyes snapped open. Yuki panted reached his ears. He rolled over.

"Ka-Kaname! The baby!" Her hands fell to her stomach and she curled in. Tears clung to her eyes. "Hurts...hurts....hurts!"

Zero awoke with a jerk as a pained scream reached his ears, then the crying of a baby. His heart was pounding in his chest; his lavender eyes roamed toward Yori. Her toffee eyes bore up at him.

"The baby!" Yori yelped and scrambled from the bed. Intend on seeing her friend's child, when Zero grabbed her wrist and pulled her back to him.

"It would be dangerous to go near Kaname and Yuki at this point.." Yori's body relaxed. His breath gently cascaded over her ear. Gone were the thoughts of seeing the new child, replaced by Zero's scent all around her.

Kaname stared at his child with awestruck eyes. He had been through this before with his first wife, but never before was a child more captivating.

"What gender?" His wife breathed. Kaname tore his eyes away from his baby boy.

"Boy..." He whispered. He slid into the bed next to his wife and kissed her brow. He passed the child to her and stared at the picture they made. "Beautiful..."

Yuki glanced up at her husband and smiled.

"Why?" Yori asked. Zero leaned back against the headboard, bringing her body with him.

"Because, their parental instincts are at an all time high." He explained. Yori huffed and turned in his arms. She threw her legs over his and crossed her arms over her chest.

"They're not animals, Zero!" Zero simply stared at her.

"Right, they're just humans that have an love for other humans blood," he drawled.

"Zero...stop. Stop hating them for what they can't help...It's not a choice!"

"Yuki's was!" Zero finally burst. Yori forced back tears. "She chose this life. She chose him."

"She was already a pureblood, Zero...you know that...the fangs inside her would have eaten her alive..." Zero fell silent. Unwanted tears rushed to the surface. He buried his head into her shoulder. Yori ran her hand through his hair. "All this time, you've been angry with her for not choosing you. For not staying human, because of the pain she dealt you in leaving, it's time to let all of that go. Or we won't ever be happy..."

Later on that night, the newest member of the Kuran family was carried down the stairs. Zero stared in awe at the adorable life in Yuki's arms. Kaname stood proudly beside her; his eyes not leaving the child. Zero studied both the parents and the baby.

'She's right...' He thought as Yori asked if she could hold the child. Yuki passed the baby into Yori's arms and shook her own. Yori laughed at her friend before looking down at the baby boy.

"What's his name?" Yori asked.

"Haruka.." Zero and the rest of the Night Class saw the significance of the name but Yori blinked uncomprehending.

"Haruka was their father..." Zero explained. Yori nodded. Yuki stepped forward and placed her delicate hands on her best friend's shoulder.

"I would like you to be the god mother..." Yori eyes widened and a radiant smile drifted over her face.

"Of course. I will." Yuki smiled and stepped from her friend. Kaname leaned against the post. Ichijio stood beside him.

"He's beautiful, Kaname."

"Courtesy of his mother.." Kaname whispered. Ichijio smiled. Kaname glanced over at his long time friend and stated: "I would like you to be the god father." Ichijio's eyes widened to the point of pain.

"Yes!" Ichijio yelped, a happy smile spread across his face. He hugged his best friend. Kaname patted his back awkwardly while the Night Class and friends looked on. Zero fought off laughter at the shocked look on the vampire's face.

Yori smiled over at her boyfriend while Yuki took the child back from her.

'Maybe, just maybe, one day they'll get along...'