Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Soon after Yuki had fallen asleep once more, Kaname had departed from the room to find the vampire hunter. Kaname had found Zero, now completely thawed, with his head bowed in his hands. Shame and self-directed anger tainted the air. Zero growled out in anger as Kaname stepped closer.

"I do not care about your internal struggle, but the man that harmed my wife will pay and you will help me."

"Why should I?" Zero demanded. His lavender eyes finally lifting to look at the Pureblood in disgust. Said Pureblood smirked cruelly.

"Because we will be passing the man that can cure you..." Zero's eyes widened before becoming composed once more. Kaname knew his words had sealed the hunter's participation.

Without waiting for an answer, Kaname turned from the room and walked back toward Yuki.

Zero's fists balled in anger.

"Arrogant prick..." He gasped sharply as his hunger spiked.

'Yori...' His hunger did not spike at the memory of her blood. He touched his throat and snorted as the bitter realization came to him. 'Yuki's blood is still the only thing that can satisfy me...'

Aido sat beside Yori in the living room of the huge mansion. He had relayed the conversation between Kaname and Zero to her. She said nothing. Aido could feel her fear and doubt, just as well as he could feel Zero's hate for himself. He could taste it in the air.

He could care less for Zero's problem, but the girl in front of him had awoken an interest inside of him. He found himself wishing to take away her pain. Finally, he smiled and extended his hand down to her.

Slowly, she glanced up at him. Confusion colored her toffee eyes.

"Come on, this place is starting to feel depressing," Aido reasoned. Yori studied his twinkling blue eyes for any signs of mischief. He only smiled at her. His eyes sincere. Yori finally placed her hand in his.

"You're a good friend, Aido-san..." Yori whispered to him as he pulled her to the front door.

'I want to be more than your friend...' Aido realized with a shock to his system. His father would never allow such a relationship.

Kaname watched with saddened eyes as his wife tossed and turned. Her heart beat erratically. Fear tainted the air around her. A fear he could not soothe.

Zero's red eyes bore into hers. Blood on the side of his mouth. Yori's dead body was cradled in his arms. Yuki stood before him. Her own red eyes wide with horror. Slowly, he stood. As if she were alive, he placed Yori's body on the ground.

"Only you..." He breathed as he stepped toward her, "only your blood can satisfy me..."

Soon the answer had become clear to her. Her friend had fallen to a Level E. No longer was he in control of himself.

"ZERO!" Her tone was filled with so much pain and heartbreak that the walls cracked throughout the mansion. Kaname's heart clinched painfully.

Vaguely, Kaname was happy that Ruka had taken their little boy with her when she went shopping earlier that night before all the drama. She would not be home until early morning. Yuki had cried heavily when she realized that she could not do what a real mother could because of her position.

'So much heartbreak I suffer for you...' Kaname whispered mentally.

Suddenly, the door banged open. Standing in the doorway was the owner of the name. Kaname glared at him heavily as he stood to leave the room. Her hand closed around his sleeve.

"No...." She whispered brokenly. "Don't leave me..." Kaname instantly sat on the bed.

"Why do you call my name?" Zero asked, his voice indifferent. His heart still pounding in his chest. Yuki's tear filled eyes turned to him. For a moment, he saw the human girl he had fallen in love with.

Her brown eyes studied him thoroughly. She sighed in relief and breathed out a shaky sigh.

"You're okay..." She whispered.

'She's still the same on the inside...' Zero realized sadly. He turned and walked from the room. Once the door closed, Kaname turned to her. His hand rose to caress her cheek.

"How cruel, Yuki..." He whispered, Yuki closed her eyes against his words. "To call out his name with me beside you..."

"Sorry..." Yuki whispered bashfully.

"I'll forgive you..." Kaname leaned in closer to his wife's face, "if you do this one thing for me..."

"Anything..."

"Prove to me you love me..." His words were cruel, but he was a cruel man as of late. Yuki closed her eyes and kissed his lips. It was clear that tonight, she had to be in control of their love making.

Still, she knew, neither would be satisfied and he would still doubt her love for him.

Zero walked down into the living room. His heart was slightly cracking at the thought of what he was about to do. His eyes widened in shock as the sounds of laughter drifted through the door. He quickly composed himself as the door opened.

Yori and Aido stood before him. Her laughing, smiling face greeted his eyes. For a moment, he wondered what they had been up too. Irrational jealousy seized him.

For a moment, he realized that this development had made it easier, more sensible maybe, to break her heart like he was about too. Zero closed his eyes and breathed out.

'And my own...' His fist clinched tightly until his knuckles were white. 'She is in danger...'

Then, Yori realized he was standing there.

"Zero..."