Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Later on that night, after Zero and Yori were settle in the guest room, Kaname and Yuki laid in bed beside one another. Both were wide awake and thinking of the days ahead of them.

'I'm afraid...' Yuki admitted in her mind, her due date was fast upon her it seemed. As the weeks went by her belly was growing bigger and bigger. Whereas it took months for the due date to arrive for humans, she herself only had a few more weeks before the world would be grace, or cursed, with a new baby pureblood.

Yuki closed her eyes.

'I'm afraid.'

The guest room was at the end of the hall. Far away from the Purebloods and other vampires. Yori and Zero noticed the significance of the placement.

'Even after all this time,' Yori realized as she climbed into the one bed that sat in the middle of the floor, 'Yuki still thinks of Zero's comfort first. Even after all the harsh words between them, she still cares for him.' Her eyes trailed to the rigid Zero. 'And even though he doesn't show it, he still cares for her, no matter the vampirisms she possesses...'

After many hours of watching Zero fidget and twitch, Yori's patience and annoyance began to grow.

"For Pete's sake, Zero! It's just a bed!" Yori exclaimed, her hands falling with a quiet plop onto the bed covers. "Only one of us in this room bites!" Zero chuckled lightly, but shifted nervously on his feet.

"Zero!" Yuki exclaimed as she burst the door of his bedroom. Zero sat up in his bed; his lavender eyes wide and tear-filled. "Zero..." Yuki's tone fell as she darted to his side. Her hand touched his curled fist with a gentleness that belonged to her alone. At her touch, Zero broke down. Tears spilled over. Yuki gasped as Zero pulled her to him. His face pressed to her chest as he cried.

Yuki's eyes softened, her arms wrapped lightly around his head. Her hands busying themselves with his back and hair. The soft tresses flowed through her fingertips. The motion slowly lulled the boy back to sleep. As he laid down, he pulled the non-protesting female with him.

The next morning when he awoke she was still in the bed beside him as well as the Chairman by the door. A tint to his spectacles and an already developed picture in his hand.

Zero clenched his fist angrily and climbed into the bed beside Yori. When he looked up again, Yori was staring at him.

"What?"

"You know you don't have to sleep beside me if you don't want to..." Yori whispered. Taking his long hesitation as a rejection. Zero's lavender eyes widened. Once again he pulled another female into his arms, but this time it wasn't out of fear or desperation. It was an unforgettable urge to erase her worries and pain.

"I would lay down beside you any day and everyday," he tilted her head toward him, so that their eyes were aligned, "from here to the day we die." Yori's eyes widened.

"Zero..."

Kaname rolled over to face his wife. Her beautiful eyes were closed and one delicate hand rested on her stomach. She looked to be praying. Confused, Kaname took her unoccupied hand and kissed her knuckles lightly. Yuki opened her eyes and turned her head. She smiled lightly as she looked into the face of her husband.

"What is it, love?" He asked, hoping to get to the center of his wife's fears.

"I'm afraid for our child," she whispered, "similar to the way that I'm afraid for you." Kaname waited silently. "I'm afraid our child will be persecuted for crimes we've committed. Killing Sara wasn't bright, Kaname..." Kaname began to protest, Yuki cut him short, "No matter the reason you committed the act, you have placed yourself and us in danger."

"Yuki," Kaname began, "Do you believe that I would put you in danger so easily?" His wine eyes flashed dangerously. "That I would not make every precaution as to see it that you would stay out of harm's way?" Yuki fell silent under her husband's rage.

"I'm sorry, Kaname." She apologized lightly, "but you need to talk to me before you act. I am your wife or have you forgotten that? Do I not have a say in the large decisions you make?" Kaname's eyes widened slightly as he realized the extent of her words.

All of his life he had been making decisions for her-all of the decisions had the potential to be life threatening. And now that she was in his arms, his to hold, he was still doing the same thing. At a time when talking it through was most important he was neglecting her.

"I will try to do that from now on..." He amended. Yuki smiled at him and nodded.

"I'll hold you to that." Kaname smiled and leaned forward. Their lips met. Soon the gentle kiss turned passionate. Their lust a reminder that both had neglected some other part of their marriage as well.

Yuki pulled away first, ending their first kiss in weeks.

"We can't..." She whispered, "what if it hurts the baby?"

"There are other things we could be doing..." Kaname trailed suggestively. Yuki blushed brightly.