part 35

. If I hadn’t got myself captured on purpose I’m sure my father would of had me stay a spinster till he died.”

  “I’m sorry princess but I’m already wed,” commiserated Lee.

  “I can give Arthur some specially prepared herbs that should wake him up,” said With.

  “Go on then brother,” said Arianne.

  With that With took out a paper packet and emptied its contents down Arthur’s throat. “Oh no!” he said, “This is only half a portion, some has fallen out through this hole.”

  “Will it still work?” asked Lee.

  “I don’t know, can you hand me that glass of water please.”

  Lee got the water. With tipped Arthur’s head forward a bit and poured the water into his mouth while holding his nose. Arthur choked the mixture down. 

  After a few moments Arthur began to stir.

  “It’s worked, he’s conscious,” said an elated Sid.

  “Uh oh,” uh oh’d With “it’s only half worked, he’s only half conscious.”

  Biggs looked at With, “What does half conscious mean?”

  “I don’t know for sure but I think he will only be able to do half the things he normally does,” replied With.

  Arianne asked, “How do you mean half the things he normally does?”

  “It will be as though he is sleepwalking. Let’s stand him up and see,” answered With.

  So Lee and With stood Arthur up. He just stood there.

  “That’s not bad,” said Sid, “but it could be better.”

  With looked at Arthur’s eyes, “Let’s see what else he can do.” He pulled Arthur’s sword from its scabbard and looked at it, “Mmmm, genuine Excalibur copy, made from meteor metal, mmm nice.” With put the sword into Arthur’s hand and then raised the king’s arm into the air, then lowered it, then raised it again. Arthur continued to raise and lower his arm.

  “Now all we have to do is point him at some goblins,” laughed Lee.

  “How is he going to rescue me?” asked Arianne.

  “We’ll get him to lead the party, just point him and give him a shove,” said Biggs.

  “Right!” Said Sid. Then he asked the princess, “Don’t you like King Arthur Arianne?”

  “King Arthur. You mean Camelot, Guinevere, Excalibur and all that lot?” she asked.

  “Yes, of course,” said Biggs.

  “Oh yes, he’s good enough to marry,” exclaimed Arianne, “if he ever gets back to his normal self, but do you think that my father will accept that he rescued me?”

  “I think so,” said Lee, “we’ll say he led the party in your rescue and escape. That’s not lying.”

  They heard a noise of fighting on the stairs so they rushed out.