part 24

CHAPTER SIX

They were all resting. Sid, who was lying on the bed with his hands clasped behind his head, said, “I think we ought to split into two groups, so if one doesn’t get through, then the other does.”

  “Good idea Sid, but I think three groups would be good, then all we need are three good ideas,” suggested Arthur. “Biggs and Lee can go together dressed as goblins, have you got the masks Biggs?”

  “Yeah, but I don’t like playing a goblin, they’re so coarse.”

  “Well then, who wants to be the second goblin?” asked Arthur.

  “I will,” said a humble With, “I’ve seen how goblins act, living in the monastery.”

  “Okay then, that’s plan one, you two can change guard with any goblins guarding the princesses. Any suggestions for plan two?” Arthur looked around hoping for other ideas.

  “I could pretend to be another prisoner, dressed as a princess,” suggested Alf.

  “You big pansy,” growled Sid.

  “I’ll have you know, my family is renowned for its acting skills. My father is the great Llendro Felende Galladrene, the working king of the stage,” Alf looked down his nose and held onto an imaginary looking jacket collar.

  “That’s what I want to know, why do all you elves have big complicated names?” asked Sid, “And why haven’t you?”

  “My name is Alfonso Felendre Galladrene, Prince of the Northern great wood elves, grandson of Peterni Bingalonga Galladrene the great elf, guardian of the shells of peace, defender of the faith, hope of the underdog, master of the lieu rolls and heir to the throne of the great Northern Alliance. But you can call me Alf for short.”

  “That sounds like a good idea Alf,” Said Arthur, “and I can go as a goblin guarding you. Now Sid, what can you and Biggs go as?”

  “I can sit on Biggs’s head with a goblin mask and we can pretend to be a hobgoblin, they are usually commanders around here because they’re big and they’re bullies.”

  “I’ve go some goblin spray here, ‘The Smell of Goblin’, who wants some?” asked Arthur.

  Lee and With stuck their arms in the air and Arthur sprayed his and their armpits. “Right, mask up,” he ordered, “Let’s go.”

  “What about me?” asked Fawh.

  “Oh, yes, erm. I know you can be a diversion. Run around downstairs or something,” suggested Arthur.

  They ascended the second flight of stairs and went unchallenged until they saw the guards on the top floor guarding the door to a hallway.

  “You ready?” Arthur asked, prodding Lee and With, “Go and change the guard.”

  So Lee and With marched up to the goblin guards. “Change of guards,” grunted Lee.

  “That’s a bit early, isn’t it?” asked one.

  “Never mind,” said the other, “we can get our grog earlier at the staff canteen.”

  As they were leaving the first goblin said, “That’s nice body spray mate, is it ‘Smell of Goblin?”

  “Yes it is,” answered With, “nice isn’t it.”

  The other two goblins laughed as they went downstairs, “Nice!” they said.