Part 10

Arthur read slowly, “Uncle Lee, balloon modelling, conjuring tricks, puppetry and bad jokes. 32 Orange Bush Lane, Undercastleton.”  He peered at the monk then asked him, “Where’s Undercastleton With?”

  “Oh it’s the other side of the castle, on a little windy road in the valley. If we get around the other side I’ll take you down,” he turned and went inside the monastery shouting, “let me just get my backpack and staff,” as he went.

  After getting his backpack and staff, brother With closed the big double doors and put a note on the door. Enter at own risk.

  They all started off in the direction of the Rickety Bridge whistling a happy tune.

CHAPTER THREE

A bird tweeted on the gnarled, dead carcass of a tree. The sun baked the Gorgey Gorge and a light breeze wafted the dead leaves and dry grass. 

Over the rise appeared the little band of adventurers, Sid still trying to whistle his favourite tune. They came to the Rickety Bridge. It looked very rickety.

  “This bridge looks very rickety, and look how many spells are missing,” said Arthur in a typical battle chieftain’s upper class tones.

  “I told you it was,” said With. “Let me make a suggestion. I’ll go across to check it’s still safe and you choose someone to go with me.”

Arthur looked at Sid, “Sid, you go with With seeing as you’re the smallest and lightest.”

  “What do I want to go with With for, with all respects Arthur I don’t have the wherewithal to go with Wherewithal.”

  “Will you go Biggs?” asked Arthur. 

  “I don’t want to go with him.”

  “I’ll go,” said Fawh.

  “Oh, a talking horse,” said With.

  “Yes a talking horse,” said Arthur. “No Fawh, you’re too heavy it has to be Sid the dwarf or nothing.”

  “Please let it be nothing,” quivered Sid as another set of arrows fell from the sky.

  “Impressive,” said With, “I’ll go on my own and take a rope with me.”

  With alighted the Rickety Bridge and carefully trod upon each spell. There was a creak and one of the spells gave way so that he had to grab hold of the ropes on each side. The bridge seemed very rickety but With made it across and tied the rope to another tree stump.

  “I’ll go second,” said Biggs and he tied the other end of the safety rope to his waist and picked his way across. (This time without his pick.)

  Biggs untied the rope and tied a big stick to it then hurled it across to Sid who bound it round his waist. The bridge creaked and another spell broke.

Lastly Arthur spoke to Fawh, “We’ll have to leave you here for now old chap.”

  “I understand,” whinnied Fawh.

Arthur also nearly made it all the way across but fell through the floor of the bridge. Fortunately his cape caught on a piece of the bridge and he just hung there, swinging in the wind.

  “Well can’t you give me a hand then you lot?” He shouted to the others.

  Biggs piped up, “Stop complaining Arthur, the author won’t have you fall into that yawning chasm.”