Chapter 14

Mae's POV:
Eli and I walked out of the hospital after saying goodbye to Deanne. I got into the driver seat and turned on the car, Eli sat on the passenger side. There were so many things that I wanted to say to him, I'm sorry, are you okay, or I love you, but I just couldn't. I pulled out of the parking lot and started to make the 15 minute journey back home.
Once we got to my house it was after 7:30 and my mom was home. I went to the front door and opened it. "Where have you two been! I've been calling and calling you never pick up your phone!" "Mom! My phone is upstairs with the ringer off. We just got back from the hospital. Eli's mom died." "Oh my god! Karen! Eli! Are you okay?!"Eli sat down on the first step of the staircase,"No." My mom sat down at the kitchen table and covered her face with her hands. I believe she was trying to cover her tearful expression of disbelief, "I'm so sorry, Eli." An uncomfortable silence settled over the room. "Do you need anything to eat." "No." "No." Eli stated for the dark shadows of the staircase. "We're gonna go upstairs. Mom, are you alright?" "I'm fine, you two go on." Eli stood up and we went up the stairs to my room. I felt my way around my dark bedroom and turned on a lamp,"that's better." Eli sat down in my bed and I plopped beside him. Still, I had no words to say and so many at the same time. Eli held my hand in his and rested his head on my shoulder. I squeezed his hand ever so gently,"I'm here, Eli."