Chapter 5:

Eli's POV:
Mae was curled up next to me and I had my arm draped over her. She was squeezing the front of my shirt tightly in her hand, shaking. I rubbed her arm and did anything in my power to comfort her but it only seemed to make it worse. I hated when Mae did this, I didn't know how to console her and she didn't like when I would ask about it later. Mae has been trying to clean up the mess of her parents' divorce for the past three and a half years but she's never been the same
since then. Whenever she has one of these episodes it seems to be over her parents or maybe even just life itself, I never really knew.
I'm so glad that I still have Mae. There was a point during our second year of high school when she got very depressed, she was bullied and her parents had basically abandoned her. I was all she had. She wouldn't even get out of bed on some days. I would always drive over to her house and sit with her all day, I was scared she was going to kill herself. But she didn't, thank God she didn't. I loved her, I do love her so so much. I don't know how someone as perfect as Mae could possibly hate herself so much.
It had begun to rain some time ago and dimmed the light in the room. Mae shifted, put her chin on my chest and looked up at me. Her hair was matted to the sides of her face and she had tear stained cheeks. I looked back at her, she was so beautiful and she couldn't see it. I wanted desperately to kiss her, to be with her. But I don't think that would ever happen.

Mae's POV:
My body ached but once I saw Eli's face all of my pain seemed to slip away and I was filled with warmth. I felt the warmth of his body close to mine. I couldn't help myself, I propped myself up on my knees and ran my hand through his dark hair. I leaned in and kissed him, then quickly pulled away after I realized what I did. Eli pulled me back and firmly and passionately kissed me.