Chapter Twenty-Two: House Of Madness.

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO.

She didn't know where she was. Suzanne opened her eyes. Pale moonlight was illuminating the small, empty room she was trapped in. Suzanne realized she was still in her plain, white dress they had worn for the ritual, but there was something staining it. 

Suzanne quickly grabbed the hem of the dress and rose it up. On her stomach, written in a dark red fluid, were the words, "Filius mortis".

She barely had any time to register what she had just read, when Suzanne noticed something else. The door to the small, claustrophobic room was ajar. 

Suzanne rose up off the floor and walked to the door. She pulled it open as a horrible smell hit her. 

Where the heck am I? she wondered.  

She found herself looking down a deserted hallway. On either side of the hallway were metal doors with broken locks. 

Suzanne wrapped her arms around herself and started walking down the dark hallway. She had to find a way out of here. 

A sudden bang made her scream. Suzanne spun to her right.

'Is someone there? Help me, please!' 

Suzanne recognized the voice immediately. She ran to the locked door and looked through the barred window that was on the door.

'Victoria?' Suzanne called.

'Oh my gosh! Suzanne! Get me out of here, please!' Victoria screamed from inside the pitch black room. 

'I'll get you out of there, I promise,' Suzanne said. 'I have to find a crowbar or something to break the padlock on the door.' 

'No! Don't leave me alone,' Victoria pleaded.

'I'll be right back, I swear,' Suzanne vowed. 

She quickly started opening all the doors that were ajar, looking for something that could possibly break the lock of Victoria's prison. Every room was empty. 

'Suzanne, dear...'

The soft, smooth, almost too-calm voice sounded like the person was right behind her. Suzanne's body tensed instantly. 

'Poor thing,' It cooed. 'Your child will be the One of Darkness.'

'What are you?' Suzanne managed to whisper. The Mirror Demon's voice was harsh and beastly. This voice was smooth and compelling. 

'My name is Furor,' It whispered. 'I'm Insanity, darling.' 

'Where am I?' Suzanne risked asking another question. 

'The House of Madness,' came the reply. 'An Asylum. The Ritual will happen here. It's no use trying to escape, honey. It will always come after you.'

'What is Its name?' Suzanne asked suddenly.

'You can't trick a demon, dear. Demons created such things.'

She couldn't take it anymore. Suzanne spun around, expecting to see something. There was no one behind her.

'Why can't I see you?' she asked.

'Darling, if you look into my eyes, you'll go mad,' Insanity replied. 

'Please,' Suzanne said quietly. 'Let Victoria out.'

'Hmm, and what will you give me in return?

'W-what do you want?'

'How about this? If I let Victoria out, you'll stay with me here, forever. You'll give birth here after your nine months.'

'H-Here?' Suzanne asked in shock.

'Of course, darling. You see, the last time It tried the Ritual, dear Evangeline killed her seed.' 

'So, It will keep me captive here, till I give birth?' 

'Yes. May I continue?'

Suzanne nodded. Insanity continued.

'So, you'll give birth here. After you do, you'll be free to leave. That it, if It doesn't kill you.'

'What's your deal?' Suzanne asked, not wanting to hear what the Demon was planning for her. 

'Well, if I let darling Victoria out, I want you to stay forever. Don't leave after you give birth. You'll be with me...crazy and beautiful all at the same time.'  

There's not much hope left for me, Suzanne thought to herself. The least I can do is give Victoria a chance to escape

'Deal?' Insanity asked. 

Suzanne sighed. 'Deal.'

'Perfect,' Insanity whispered. Suzanne suddenly felt a burning sensation in her head. 

'You've been marked,' Insanity said. 'In nine months, you will be one of mine.'

And then It was gone.

Suzanne heard a click as the lock fell off Victoria's door. She ran to it and pulled open the door.

'Victoria? You're free,' Suzanne called.

Suzanne stepped into the room. She could make out Victoria crouched over, sobbing hysterically.

'Hey, it's okay. We'll get out of here,' Suzanne consoled. 

'No, you won't,' Victoria whispered.

Suzanne realized in horror that Victoria hadn't been crying, she was cackling. Bright moonlight suddenly illuminated the room through the window, causing Victoria to glimmer. 

No, it wasn't the moonlight. It was her scales.

Victoria was turning into a snake.