25| ''What did you say?''

Start from the beginning

When his hands rested upon my hip, we took a momentary breather. Panting from our sudden exertion, our foreheads leaned against each other.

The momentary lapse of activity broke the dam that held back my sorrow. I felt as if the world were crushing down on me and I cried, unable to stop the tears that flowed from my eyes. My hands slid down from his neck to grab the straps of his white tank top, gripping so hard my fingers turned an angry red.

Unable to hold up my head any longer, it dropped and I pressed my head against Jett's right shoulder as I tried to control the grief that made my whole entire body shake.

He was silent, one arm wrapped around me, his free hand holding my head to his shoulder.

I didn't know how long we sat in that position. I don't know how long I wailed and shouted out for. There was crying, begging for my friend's life back, all which ended with an exploding anger towards whatever force had given her this cruel fate.

When exhaustion finally made my body sag and my eyes felt too swollen, my throat too raw, Jett carried me into the shower with care.

And we sat under the water together, rocking back and forth – trying to comfort ourselves from the pain.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Over the next few days, my mind was blurry.

It felt like a never ending cycle of shock and disbelief. Jett was my rock, his arms wrapped around me when I screamed out at night, making sure to force me to eat whenever I didn't feel like any food I consumed would be able to be kept down.

Pixie was much worse but Roran and Julian were around her, making sure the nymph had enough to eat. They had placed plants in her room to monitor her health progress but till now none of them looked to be in bloom. Their leaves dropped and a sickly molten brown colour clung to their stalks - mirroring Pixie's grief.

It became clear to me what ''breaking one's seal'' meant. Gifted with powers, every Elrioud descendant was born with a natural seal that prohibited them from using too much of their own power at once. It was foolish to make such an attempt because their bodies wouldn't be ready for the entire release of their gift.

It'd take entire lifetimes to be able to get to that level and Sorcha had not been ready. She had lifted her seal and the power had destroyed her from the inside-out, along with the Víran as well as the Lionfield Manor.

Jaixon had offered to drive down to the estate, to check out what had happened. He had reported that there were only ashes and the forests that had surrounded it had died along with it. Not only did Sorcha destroy every living thing within one to two kilometers on the surface, the dungeons below had all collapsed as well.

Blaze had been the first to recover from his sister's death. Or at least, be strong enough to leave the room Lady Eluen had constructed.

'She's a witch,' Jett had whispered to me one day, an arm looped around my shoulders.

'A witch?' I whispered back, my voice hoarse as I turned towards him.

He smiled, brushing a loose strand of hair from my face, 'A witch of the top tier'.

Apparently, Lady Eluen had set Blaze and Vincent into two different rooms that she had jinxed. In these rooms, they would be kept alive and kept in - keeping them from killing whoever they thought had been responsible for the death of Sorcha.

Pixie, Jett and I had visited Vincent once - and what I had seen had broke my heart.

In a four by four room with glass to one side so we could watch him, he looked like a mental patient. The magic circle drawn on the ground looked suspiciously drawn with blood and a purple sheen seemed to coat the room - the colour spiking every time the Elrioud charged at the wall.