Chapter 16 - Insulting the God King

Start from the beginning

"How long ago was this?" Athena asked worriedly.

"We were three," Zoe replied. "So five years ago."

"He was terrifying," Abiron added.

"What did he want from you?" Hades scowled.

"Isn't it obvious?" Percy demanded. "He's been building a bloody army. Has been for about two hundred fifty years now. Tartarus has been divided between monsters that serve Lord Kronos and those that don't."

"Lord Kronos?" Artemis echoed. "Since when have you called him that?"

Percy fisted his hands. "I really don't think you want to know."

Zeus narrowed his eyes, his mind racing to the worst possibilities. "I really do want to know, Perseus."

Percy scowled. "Fine," he spat. "I'll show you why I started calling him that." He started lifting the bottom of his shirt up, and Nico cursed, grabbing Percy's hand to stop him.

"Percy, don't. You don't have to show everyone," Nico said hurriedly.

Percy snarled as he wrenched his hand away from the son of Hades, his other hand summoning Oceanus' sword and pointing it at Nico's neck. "Touch me again without my permission, and I'll eviscerate you."

"The younger campers-"

"Need to know what they're getting themselves into," Percy snapped.

"They're kids, Percy!" Jason exclaimed.

"Kids that'll be killed as soon as they enter the battlefield," Percy growled, "and don't start saying otherwise. The Titans make no distinction between adult and child. Anyone who's in their way dies... or is otherwise indisposed." The immortal clenched his jaw, struggling to control his breathing. "You can all continue believing that he's not coming, just like you did last time. But the thing is... he is coming. And most of the monsters in the whole of Tartarus, all of the other Titans, and likely even some Primordials will be coming with them. So continue deluding yourselves. That's fine with me. Just don't expect me to coming running like a dog when you need my help. Because I won't be giving it if you can't pull the sticks from your asses and stop talking bullshit." He took a deep breath. "Now, if you'll excuse me I'll be in my cabin. Anyone comes in unannounced they'll find themselves lacking important appendages." Percy stared challengingly at the beings in front of him before stalking over the hill and into camp. All of them parted in front of him, watching him stride past.

Oceanus' sword in dagger form buried itself point first into the ceiling. Percy twisted and groaned into his pillow, the scar on the side of his face seemed to burn, wracking his body with pain.

'Come on, Poseidon scum,' a voice sneered in his mind, 'you're the Hero of Olympus. Get up.'

"No," Percy growled, "I can't."

'You're beaten. Running for three years, and nowhere to hide.' Percy could smell the stink of the dracaenae, hear the snake's tongue as it ran across spiked teeth, and sense his old helplessness. Around him, the cabin dissolved and the familiar landscape of Tartarus built up around him.

"Son of Poseidon," the dracaenae hissed. "You're hard to catch."

Percy clenched his jaw as he glared at the dracaenae. "Leave me alone, and none of you will be harmed. You have my word."

The dracaenae laughed. "You can barely stand you're so weak! You actually expect us to leave you alone. No. I shall be known as 'Slayer of Perseus Jackson'!"

Percy grimaced, looking around desperately for anything he could defend himself with. He hadn't had actual water in at least three years, and the only word he'd had was that Gaea had been defeated. He'd started eating whatever he could get his hands on, and as a result had stomach aches most of the time and almost constantly felt sick – and the small group of monsters had caught him alone. He shut his eyes and focused his little remaining power towards the ground beneath him, sensing for any of the five rivers. The Acheron flowed sluggishly by several yards away, and Percy collapsed back, slumping against the rock behind him.