Chapter 24

Earth/Canada/English Bay, Vancouver, B.C.

Earth year: 2183 CE

Kaidan enjoyed a leisurely breakfast Sunday morning, followed by along walk on the beach. The sand warmed his toes while the cool ocean waves lapped at his feet.

Salty sea air kissed the bare skin on his arms as he walked, his mind clear while he enjoyed the moment. How he loved the beach, from the contrasting cold of the water, to the smooth bare sand, that was occasionally interrupted by huge swaths of beached seaweed and large jutting boulders.

The heat of the sun bore down on him as it rose in the sky, warming his skin even as the salty sea air cooled and refreshed him.He really ought to get back, he thought absently. Anderson had said he'd be sending over a list of the crew that would be on board forthe Normandy's shake-down cruise.

He stopped walking and gazed out over the ocean. Not many boats on the water, must be a weather system approaching, he thought absently.He took a long last look before heading back. As much as he loved serving in the Alliance - the adventure, the discipline, the marvels and wonders of space  - there were times like these when he wished he could be here every night. Watch the sun set, see the tide roll in, feel the wind on his skin and the sand in his toes.

As he walked, he picked up a few pebbles and absently tossed them in the surf, the soft plunking sound as each one hit the water made him feel at home and he smiled. He felt peaceful as he turned his thoughts back to his promotion. He wasn't one to show extremes of feeling, but he was damn thrilled Anderson had once again given him a chance to be part of something special.

He reached the house and after changing his clothes, took a seat in his favourite lounger on the back deck and tapped his omni-tool to retrieve his messages. Sure enough there was a message from Anderson.

Staff Lieutenant Alenko,

You'll find I've included dossiers on all confirmed crew members for the SSV Normandy's shake-down cruise. I know you'll wonder, so I'll explain now - what you won't find is a dossier for my Executive Officer (XO).

There's been a delay confirming her availability. Will have it to you as soon as I have confirmation.

Captain David Anderson, Systems Alliance Military, Vancouver HQ

Well that was unusual. Since when did a Captain need to wait on an officer transfer? He shook his head, it didn't much matter right now, he'd find out soon enough.

Turning his attention back to the dossiers, he settled down to review them. Dr. Karin Chakwas, Ship Medic; Chief Engineer Greg Adams; Navigator Charles Pressly; Flight Lieutenant Jeff "Joker"Moreau, and Corporal Jenkins.

After thoroughly reviewing each file he had to admit that, as always, Anderson had chosen a very impressive crew for a shake-down cruise. The addition of Jenkins, who was clearly young and relatively inexperienced wasn't hard to figure. Anderson never did anything without good reason - in all likelihood Jenkins needed field experience, something that would help him gain a new perspective on what being a marine truly meant.

A lot of new recruits came to the Alliance with romantic and typically unrealistic ideas about saving the galaxy with nothing but their rifle and their wits. Kaidan smiled, yeah not so much he thought, recalling a few extended in-space flights of own. It was a time when there was nothing to do but check duty rosters and make sure the crew kept their pent up energies in check while living in cramped conditions.

Thankfully, lengthy and otherwise uneventful space flights were rare. If they weren't assisting with repairs at an outpost in one system, they were delivering supplies to another. Or alternately, they were patrolling remote systems and tracking down pirate vessels or hunting ships not authorized to be in Alliance space.