Chapter 11

Milky Way/Sol System/SS Huntress

Earth Year: 2173 CE

Moments later the two of them were standing in what was a very spacious and luxurious ship cabin.

The size of the space was staggering, not to mention the opulent furnishings, complete with a desk, lounge chairs, a small bookshelf and a display cabinet - which currently held what Kaidan thought must be digital images of people who were important to the Ambassador.

Remembering where he was, Kaidan checked his jaw wasn't hanging open in awe before turning his attention back to his boss.

"I realize that what I'm about to tell you is highly unusual," Kazra began, the cabin doors whooshing closed behind them. "But I've been contacted by Asari High Command. My contact on the Citadel has been called away to investigate a small research facility in the Artemis Tau Cluster. Apparently the researchers there haven't reported in for several days."

Seeing Aryana frown, Kazra continued. "Those are the only details I have at this time. As an Asari Matriarch and Ambassador we are the only ship close enough to follow up on this. My contact has not been heard from for a full solar day. She was to have reported insix hours ago, but there's been nothing from her since she entered the star system. As such, High Command has ordered me find out what's going on out there."

Kaidan had no idea what to say. Guess we're not going to the Citadel then. And what's this about a research facility in the Artemis Tau Cluster? That was Alliance space. What were Asari researchers doing there?

The entire area was still a highly contested system - not mention dangerous, what with Batarians, pirates, mercenaries and slavers who were known to frequent the system.

The Alliance still did not have enough manpower or vessels to patrol every system that was currently considered Alliance space. All of this ran through Kaidan's mind quickly as he fought to keep his expression neutral.

"Well then." Aryana drawled. "Looks like this mission just got an upgrade."

"This is not a field trip Aryana." Kazra reminded her. "My contact from the Citadel is very good at her job. If she hasn't reported in then something is very wrong out there. It's only been six hours since she was scheduled to make a report so we'll be able to follow up quickly - we're only a few hours out."

"What do you think has happened ma'am?" Kaidan asked.

Kazra turned her attention to Kaidan, wondering at his diplomacy. She knew he was wondering what the asari researchers were doing in Alliance space - she could easily read it in his eyes, yet he was too tactful to ask directly. Politeness from someone so young always threw her, especially since he was also human.

"That," Kazra said, "remains to be seen. As I'm sure you're aware, that system has seen it's share of unsavoury characters pass through it. But I can't imagine what anyone, especially those outside the law, would want with a small research outpost. There's nothing much there. Just a science team and a handful of support staff."

"What kind of research ma'am?" Kaidan blurted before he could stop himself. "I mean, that is if you can say."

"Prothean."

"Oh."

"I know what you're thinking Mr. Alenko, but the Alliance is well aware of our research project." Kazra assured him."In fact, your Alliance is responsible for the facility being there - they asked for our help. Given that our species has had a lot more time to study the Protheans, the Alliance wanted our assistance with excavating the ruins they uncovered."