Chapter 3

Earth/Canada/Vancouver, B.C.

Earth Year: 2173 CE

"Full house." Kaidan said, spreading his cards out on the table before them. Judging by the shocked silence and angry dismay he felt radiating from the three men, he knew it was time to end the game he'd been playing.

"Can you believe that?" He asked, getting to his feet. He clicked on his omni-tool and added the projected table winnings to it with a press of a button.

"Thank you gentlemen." He said, nodding to each of them, struggling not to lose his nerve at their stony expressions. "It's been a pleasure, but I think I'm going to get out while I'm ahead and leave you to enjoy the rest of your evening."

Taking their silence as his cue to go he turned and headed to the bar for a drink wanting to put some distance between himself and their icy glares. Despite playing a fair game and losing to them twice, he still couldn't pinpoint where their animosity was coming from. And it wasn't just aimed at him.

Several others had tried to join their card game, but each time the three had steadfastly refused to allow anyone else to sit at their table. Odd, but not remarkable. Certainly nothing to be suspicious about.

He circled the bar, settling himself where he could keep an eye on their table without being seen, while remaining hidden from view. He didn't understand his own motive for doing so, but never one to second-guess his instincts, he shrugged and ordered a drink.

Tony, George and Trent were still seated at their table, but were now bent close to each other and appeared to be engaged in a heated discussion. Judging from their expressions, it was not a happy topic.

Hmm. Kaidan thought, maybe I shouldn't have done that. There you go again, he chastised himself. You played poker, period. If they hadn't wanted you to play with them, they'd have refused just as they had all those other patrons.

Yet the look on each man's face seemed murderous. He hadn't felt that while playing cards with them, though they hadn't exactly warmed up or softened their attitude while he'd shared their table. All he'd really learned was they liked poker, games of chance and didn't talk much - if at all.

Shrugging, he guessed it didn't matter now. Besides, he was tired and wanted to go home. Let someone else deal with it. It wasn't his problem and no one else seemed to notice them.

Shooting back the last of his juice, he got tp his feet and ensuring they still couldn't see him, made his way to the front door. It didn't seem as though anything else was going to come of whatever they were discussing. Probably just imagining things, he thought, may as well call it a day.

Crap! He exclaimed as he stepped outside the casino and into darkness. The last of the sunlight was disappearing behind the horizon and he was surprised by how late it was.

Walking briskly, he headed down the street, hoping he hadn't missed the last shuttle home. If he had, it was going to be pricey ride for a private shuttle. Damn good thing I won that last hand then, he thought, grinning to himself.

Lost in thoughts of his warm bed and blissful sleep, he didn't hear them approaching until they were nearly on top of him. A prickling at the base of his neck had him tense and alert in an instant, his senses tingling as he picked up his pace.

"Where you off to in such a hurry Kaidan? Got a hot date?" Sneered a cold male voice at his back.

Slowing, he turned to face them. Dark shadows stretched out around him as the sun sank below the horizon, making it difficult for him to see as they approached. He remained silent but alert, the menace emanating from the three palpable on the deserted sidewalk.