Chapter 21

Milky Way/Omega Nebula/Sahrabarik System/Omega

Earth year: 2180 CE

Seven years later, Kaidan found himself on Omega. The years had passed by in a blink. Now 29, he was more athletic, but not overly so and his biotics and endurance were much improved.

He rarely experienced headaches now, but when he did, it was usually because he hadn't eaten enough after using them. It was hard to believe how far he'd come in what seemed such a short time. He'd even earned several commendations over the years. After all this time, he was happy with how far he'd come and had never once regretted his decision to join the Alliance.

He was currently standing in the shadows of an alley outside Afterlife - a club that was the hub of the large mining facility, called Omega. It was also the base of the only self-proclaimed ruler of the most well-known and dangerous outposts bordering the Terminus System- an area of the Milky Way considered part of Citadel-controlled space.

Colonies established in the Traverse continued to be subject to constant raids and attacks from pirates and slavers in the Terminus. The presence of multiple worlds rich in resources and Prothean ruins continued to draw colonizing interests, despite the threat. Though the Citadel claimed the region as its own, forces of the Terminus Systems asserted many of the planets were under their control.

Unwilling to engage in all-out war against the various Terminus factions, the Citadel Council adopted a military non-interference policy in the region.

But that had nothing to do with his presence here. Anderson had needed a volunteer to go undercover. The Alliance was not welcome here, nor did they have any official jurisdiction this far from Alliance space. At first, Kaidan was inclined to refuse the assignment, but Anderson had convinced him to take it. Just as he always did, Kaidan thought dryly.

He'd been on Omega three weeks and still had not gotten used to the smell. The corruption, pollution and the desperation of the inhabitants almost made him regret ever stepping foot on the station. But he had a job to do - one that over-ruled his personal feelings and his disgust at how the citizens treated one another. From what he'd seen, Aria did little to nothing to improve matters.

He'd met her once, purely by accident while inside Afterlife, searching for his target. He'd been unimpressed by her even as he understood just how dangerous an enemy she could be. From what he'd seen, she believed herself to be some kind of supreme ruler or deity.

Ruler of corruption maybe, Kaidan scoffed. It wasn't much to be proud of as far as he was concerned, but whatever. He was shocked to discover she was asari though - he'd always thought the asari valued diplomacy and altruism above all. Finding Aria at the head of the most well-known, corrupt outpost in space came as a shock.

He hadn't planned to meet her, but when she'd sidled up to him in Afterlife while he was leaning against a bar counter, he'd not had much choice in the matter.

"Mmm." She'd purred in his ear, passing a casual hand over his ass. "What's a man like you doing in my  bar?"

She slid a hand up his arm while watching him with interest, maintaining physical contact as she'd come around to face him. Her piercing blue eyes seemed to look through him as they met his own, causing an icy shiver to roll up his spine.

"Just enjoying the scenery." He'd said, hoping she'd move on.

"See anything you like?" She whispered, her voice seductive.

"Yes ma'am. Plenty."

"Good. Haven't seen you around before. I assume you know the one rule of Omega?" She asked, her voice steel.