Chapter 7

Earth/Canada/Vancouver, B.C./Alliance-Citadel Embassy Building

Earth Year: 2173 CE

As he stepped outside into the late afternoon sunshine, he had barely had time to take stock of what had just happened when Aryana T'Pelo stepped in front of him blocking his way. Taking a step back to give himself some room, he glared at her.

"You told him I fainted?" He demanded.

"Of course I told him." She replied, a smile curving her lips. "Biotics like yours are rare and surviving what you did is nothing short of a miracle. You're a rare human Alenko and someone needs to knock some sense into you."

"I don't see how that's any of your concern." He said, pushing past her.

"I'm making it my business." She retorted, falling into step beside him. "You know, you were a lot more interesting last night."

Kaidan blushed and quickened his step. He didn't want to think about it and certainly didn't want to talk about it. Especially not with some asari who thought she knew better than he did.

"Don't be like that." She chided, taking a different tack. "You know now that neglecting your biotic training is unwise, and that if you don't want what happened to reoccur, you have to keep up with your training."

"That's obvious." He snorted. "But you had no business telling Anderson. It had nothing to do with my testimony. He didn't need to know about it. If I didn't know better, it's as though you wanted to blind-side me."

"So what if I did?" Aryana snapped. "I didn't for a second believe you'd listen to me. Besides, I trust Anderson. For a human Alliance officer he's got the potential to make a significant impact on the galaxy. He's a good man and a better soldier. He can be diplomatic and discreet when necessary. If anyone could get through that thick skull of yours Anderson can."

"Thick skull?" Kaidan stopped to stare at the asari who was quickly getting under his skin. "Now you're insulting me?"

"It's not an insult. It's a compliment." She retorted, trying not to smile. "I figure it's the only logical reason you survived your fainting spell last night. Not many biotics would have come out of that unscathed - but you did."

Kaidan remained thoughtful. He was still trying to wrap his head around the events of the last 12 hours - getting attacked, meeting an asari Spectre, his conversation with Anderson and now this. "I still don't see why Anderson had to know about my near coma."

She could see how what had happened weighed on him, but damned if she was going to let it go. He was powerful. More powerful than any human biotic she'd ever seen before and dammit he WAS going to listen to her. She didn't care what it took. Talent like his was not to be wasted, no matter how much he believed otherwise.

"Look, I'm sorry if I crossed some human boundary or whatever. I don't have a lot of experience dealing with your species ,but I know for a fact that you were never going to attack those men last night. Even if it cost you your life."

Kaidan ducked his head, annoyed that his conduct last night had been so obvious - even from the short span of time she'd witnessed.

"And," She continued, noting that he was still listening despite the tension that was radiating from him. "A barrier like yours, well...  Asari are naturally biotic, but I've never seen an asari maintain a barrier like yours before - never mind a human. Which can only mean you've got excellent focus and control. You're powerful, which also tells me you've got a compelling reason for why you hesitate to use your power against others."

"Shit. You got all that just from my barrier?"

"Sweetie, I may not look it but I'm over 200 years old. I know what I'm talking about."