Chapter 12

Milky Way/Artemis Tau Cluster/Knossos System/Therum

Earth year: 2173 CE

Kaidan woke with a start, momentarily confused by his unfamiliar surroundings. It took a moment before memory returned and he sat up wondering what could have woken him. Then he realized he could no longer hear the hum of the engine. He could no longer hear the constant dull hum of the ship's engine core or the nearly imperceptible vibration of the hull.

He stretched his arms over his head as he rose from the bed,working the kinks from his neck as he did so. Guess we're here, he thought, but then why hadn't the Ambassador woke him?

Frowning, he left his cabin and headed to the Ambassador's room, noting the silence that greeted him on his walk. In fact, the silence began to unnerve him greatly. It was almost unnatural to the point that by the time he reached the Ambassador's quarters, he was on high alert.

Finding it empty, his frown increased. Where was she? Maybe the cargo bay? He had no idea what the layout of an asari ship might be but figured it was unlikely Kazra would personally address the crew. Especially when she could just as easily do so over the intercom.

He took the lift up to the crew deck where he found it almost completely deserted. A sigh of relief escaped him, grateful that he wasn't stuck in some bad dream of being the only one aboard a ghost ship.

There were a handful of asari here, each at their individual stations monitoring well... whatever might be on their displays. They glanced up at him briefly as he exited the lift, then returned to whatever they were doing as though he wasn't there.

He headed towards the cockpit, intent on finding a visual display that might show him where they were or at least what planet they were on.

"Sir?" Came a quiet voice from behind. "Sir?"S he said more loudly. Kaidan turned to face the asari who'd addressed him.

She was short by asari standards and on her smooth blue features there appeared to be what Kaidan thought of as a pink ink-blot image resembling a butterfly.

"Yes?" He said.

"I'm sorry sir, but you're not supposed to be up here. At least... I don't think so anyway." She added quietly.

"You don't think so?"

"Well no. I mean, we've had civilians on board before but not human civilians or human bodyguards, but, well..." She trailed off, not sure how to continue. "It's just that no one has said anything about it to me. All I know is that civilians aren't usually allowed on this deck."

"I see." Kaidan said, wondering again what the hell he was doing here. "Well I suppose it doesn't matter but in that case, maybe you can help me?"

"I can try."

"Why don't you start with your name?" Kaidan said, his voice friendly. "It might make it easier to talk to me at least."

Blushing, the petite asari beamed. "Oh! Of course! I'm so sorry! My name is Ylena Drick," she said, extending her hand awkwardly.

She's obviously seen human greetings before, Kaidan thought taking her hand. "Pleased to meet you Ylena, I'm Kaidan Alenko, the Ambassador's personal bodyguard."

"Oh I know!" She gushed. "And human too!" Al ook of horror crossed her features. "Oh goddess! I'm so sorry! That came out all wrong!"

Kaidan laughed. "It's okay. I'm a little surprised to be here myself."

"Oh yes of course." Ylena agreed. "Now you mentioned something about helping you? Was that it or...?"

"Actually, I was wondering if you could tell me where I might find the Ambassador? Or maybe Spectre T'Pelo?"