Chapter 4

Earth/Canada/Vancouver, B.C.

Earth Year: 2173 CE

Dumbstruck, Kaidan repeated what she'd just said to himself. Spectre? What the hell was a Spectre doing in Vancouver?

"Yeah," Aryana continued, speaking to someone via her omni-tool, "I tracked down the disturbance. Illegal use of biotics against an unarmed civilian. Need some backup to bring them in."

Kaidan couldn't hear what was being said to her so he waited, still stunned that a Spectre, and an Asari Spectre at that, had appeared out of nowhere and come to his rescue.

"Right." Aryana replied, "They're currently detained in a Singularity field but it won't hold them long."

"Copy that," Came the reply in what sounded like a deep male voice. "We're sending a shuttle to your location now. Alliance HQ out."

"So," Aryana began, turning her attention back to Kaidan, "What did you do to draw that kind of attention to yourself?" She asked, inclining her head in the direction of the cursing men.

Taking in his stunned silence, Aryana admired the biotic field the young man was still maintaining. His face was a mask of concentrated effort over a handsomely chiselled face, honey-dark eyes and black hair cut short. Probably to lessen the effect of static, she reasoned.

"I think you can drop your barrier now." She said dryly as Kaidan blushed and dropped his shield, clearly unaware it was still active.

"Right, yeah," Kaidan stammered. "I uh, forgot about that."

"I noticed," Aryana said, still smiling. Stepping closer she stuck out her hand, "Aryana T'Pelo, Spectre. And you are?" She queried as Kaidan reached out to take it.

"Oh," Kaidan blushed, "uh Kaidan Alenko, ma'am."

"Mmm, hot and polite." Aryana teased. "What are the odds?"

"I, uh," Kaidan stammered, unsure how to respond. At that moment an Alliance shuttle appeared, dispatching four Alliance soldiers who rounded up Troy, Trent and George just as the Singularity broke, dumping all three to the ground.

Aryana covered her snicker, maintaining her professional demeanour as the Alliance took their leave. She watched the departing shuttle for a moment before turning her attention back to Kaidan.

He was grateful for the brief respite from her gaze, seizing the moment to regain his composure and willing his body and mind to still themselves. By the time she turned back to face him he'd gained back much of his seemingly absent presence of mind and a modicum of his inner balance was restored.

"So?" Aryana queried. "You wanna tell me what happened here or what?"

"Uh yeah," Kaidan began, "Sorry, I'm uh, I guess I'm just not used to seeing an Asari in the middle of downtown Vancouver."

Aryana's sea-green eyes twinkled with amusement. "How about we keep things simple and start over from the beginning?" She said, offering her hand again.

"Aryana T'Pelo, Spectre."

"Kaidan Alenko." He returned, taking her hand. "Pleasure to meet you ma'am."

"Pleasure's all mine Alenko." She said, smiling. "Well? You gonna spill or do I have to wring it out of you?"

"No ma'am," Kaidan replied. "Sorry, I'm just not thinking clearly at the moment. Can't seem to organize my thoughts."

Frowning, Aryana looked at him thoughtfully. Now that he had her full attention, she noticed he didn't seem all that steady on his feet. Nor did his eyes seem able to focus long on any one spot. They kept flitting here and there like a butterfly as though he couldn't control what was happening. Oh shit, she thought, suddenly alarmed, I bet he's an L2. Dammit. He looks about to faint.