Chapter 14

"Hello?"

"Hey, darling dearest!"

"Don't ever call me that," you laughed.

"Aww, why not? I think it's cute!" Toby protested and you could hear the smile in his voice.

"It sounds like we're an old married couple."

"Maybe we are," he snorted. "How's everything at that mansion. Are the guys staying out of trouble?"

"Define trouble," you shrugged.

"No one's set fire to anything, have they?"

"Not yet," you giggled, "but there still plenty of time."

"You'll keep them in check," he smiled. "You always do. I swear, it's like you're their mother."

"They do not listen to me."

"Sure they do, just in their own way. They care what you think about them, you know."

"How's everything going with the investigation? Did they find any more of my blood?" you asked, gnawing on your nails nervously.

"Everything's fine so far. They haven't found any more of your blood but they did find more of his. A trail of it to be exact. We've got a team out there tracking it as we speak."

Before you could reply, you heard another voice on the other end of the phone saying, "Is that (Y/N)?"

"Jane!" you exclaimed. You heard Toby pass the phone to her and she said, "Hey! How's everything on the flip side?"

"Everything's fine on my end. How are you doing?"

"Great! There's nothing like a murder investigation to raise one's spirits," she laughed.

"It's a little ironic, isn't it? Murderers hunting down a murderer?"

"I can see that, but murderers are people too, you know," Jane snickered. "I'll talk to you later, alright? Toby's glaring at me."

You and Toby talked for another half hour about anything and everything, if only just to hear each other speak. But of course it couldn't last forever and Toby was called in to help with a fingerprint sweep. After hanging up, you stared at the phone for a few moments. Toby had mentioned that there were less people helping out than he'd expected. Maybe you could offer your help? But you knew that Toby would object, wanting to keep you as far away from any danger as possible.

You pushed the scheme to the back of your mind for the time being and your stomach grumbled loudly. Taking the steps two at a time, you descended into the kitchen where Masky and Hoodie were sitting on the counter sharing a bowl of pudding.

"Who the heck eats pudding this early in the morning?" you snorted.

"Everyone with common sense, duh," Masky shrugged.

"How is that obvious?"

"If you just woke up and you're still really sleepy, the last thing I'd want to do is chew food," he smiled and shoveled another spoonful of pudding in his mouth.

"You're strange," you sighed and grabbed a box of cereal from the cupboard. You examined the box for a moment, then asked, "Hey, who does the grocery shopping around here? I'm the only normal one here who can go out but I'm certainly not doing it. I'd like to know who to thank for my Lucky Charms."

"Serial killers do the shopping," Masky snickered.

"Question retracted, I'm losing brain cells from this conversation," you groaned, pouring milk into your bowl of Lucky Charms.

"Get it? Because serial killers buy the cereal?"

"You're not funny," you chuckled.

"Then stop laughing," he retorted with a smirk. You left the two masked boys to their mid-day pudding and dropped onto the couch beside Laughing Jack. There was a large book in his hands and small glasses resting on the end of his cone nose.

"What're you reading?" you asked and took a bite of your cereal.

"The original Grimm tales," LJ chuckled and pushed the glasses up his nose, "They're far better then that child-proofed, princess nonsense they fill children's heads with these days."

"Tell me about it," you scoffed into your bowl, "I'm still waiting for a story about a strong, independent prince who don't need no man."

"You go girl," the monochrome clown laughed. After finishing off your bowl of cereal, you wandered aimlessly around the mansion counting cobwebs in corners and re-alphabetizing the library. You weren't sure why, but nothing sounded appealing. Video games with BEN required too much effort, talking to Jeff was a feat of its own, and you knew Slenderman would never give you any busy work if it would jeopardize the way he organizes his office. Everything just sounded... boring.

"Yo, (Y/N)," a voice called from the library door. You turned to see a bright pair of blood red eyes gleaming in the dimly lit room.

"What's up, Zero?" you asked.

"I was wondering if you could show me around the woods. I haven't been very far and I don't know them very well," he said.

"An odd request, but alright, why not?" you smiled. Zero just shrugged and shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans. He followed you out the door as you led him across the back porch and towards woods where the sun as hanging lazily overhead.

"This might be an awkward question but," Zero asked, clearing his throat, "uhm, have you had that dream again? Or any dream like it involving, well, you know."

"No," you answered quickly, "Nothing like that. Have you?"

"One," he admitted with a frown.

"Look, Zero-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. You're married and I'm just a stranger that crashed the wedding. But the more I ignore the dreams, the worse they get," he sighed.

"You're more than that," you frowned. "You're apart of the family now, not just some stranger."

"I'll always be a stranger here," Zero laughed, "I don't even know who I am."

"The past doesn't matter," you shrugged.

"But wouldn't you at least want to know it? My earliest memory is of me stumbling through the woods with the face of a beautiful girl flashing through my mind until I collapse at her wedding."

"That's a more interesting first memory than something like your first word," you smiled weakly.

"I just want to know who I am," he frowned.

"You know what?" you grinned. "I'm going to show you something very personal and very important to me. Only Toby has ever seen it, so consider yourself privileged."

Oh my gosh I'm so so SO sorry for not updating! I was in the middle of moving and with it being so close to the end of the school year, I was nervous about going to a new school and worried about my credits getting jacked up and I just couldn't bring myself to write.

That explains why this chapter is so crappy, sorry about that. The next chapter will be better, I promise. WiFi is up Wednesday and I start my new school tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some downtime to write.

Thank you all so so so so so so so SOOOOOOOOOOO much for being so patient with me and also for all your responses about the future of this account. They were really helpful and I've decided that this will be a mixed account!

Enough of my excuses and profuse thanks, I'll leave you alone now!

Thanks for reading and being patient! Love you guys!