Chapter 9

Toby lifted you off your feet and sat you on the double sink counter in your bathroom. You'd peeled off you now-holey jeans while trying not to wince and silently thanked Zalgo that you'd warn a big shirt. You sat in nothing but your long shirt and underwear. Toby rummaged through the cabinets for a moment and set a bottle of disinfectant, bandages, and a rag on the counter beside you. He wet the rag and began to gently remove the dried blood and dirt from the wounds on your knees.

"Is it just me or does this feel familiar?" You smiled.

"We may have done something like this once or twice," he chuckled. When he'd finished wiping the scrapes, he grabbed the bottle of disinfectant and gave you a warning glance. You braced yourself as he poured it down the cuts, gritting your teeth and looking away. His fingers were warm as he wound the bandages around your knees.

"It's your turn to play nurse next time," Toby smirked and leaned over the counter. He kissed your cheek and then your lips, bracing a hand against the mirror behind you to keep from crushing you against it. After a few moments, he broke away and took both of your hands and helped you from the counter. Your knees felt stiff and sore and you stumbled on the cold floor. You limped to your closet and changed into you comfiest pair of sweatpants and one of Toby's gray flannels. You opened the door to find Toby standing with his back to you, slightly hunched over.

"You doing alright there?" You giggled.

"Hop on," he laughed. You did as you were told, climbing onto his back and allowing him to carry you down the stairs. He gently dropped you off on the couch and plopped down beside you, wrapping an arm around your shoulder.

"You guys are so cute, it's disgusting," BEN snorted from the couch across from you. His right hand was bandaged but that didn't stop him from wielding a game controller.

"I agree," Zero chimed in as took a seat beside BEN. You felt a pang of guilt as the red-eyed boy grinned at you. You'd almost forgotten that he was here despite how much you'd worried about him and you hadn't thought to ask if he wanted to spar with everyone else. If he felt bad about it, he didn't show it. BEN tossed Zero a controller and they both stared at the TV.

"When did you two become friends?" You asked.

"When I found out that he's awesome at video games," BEN shrugged and fist-bumped Zero. 

"He's not a bad sou chef either," Masky poked his head out of the kitchen and laughed. "I finished dinner in half the time and I hardly had to tell him what to do."

Hearing the mention of food, everyone leaped from the couch and darted into the kitchen where Jeff and EJ were helping to set the table. 

"Such a good little helper," you snickered and pinched Jeff's leathery, scarred cheek. He batted your hand away and attempted a frown.  He took the seat to your left and Toby sat to your right. Sally jumped on the seat across from you and set a teddy bear beside her. Zero and BEN were locked in an argument about the best gaming consoles . Laughing Jack, who'd just returned from several months of posing as a young boy's imaginary friend, sat to Sally's left. The monochrome clown leaned over the table excitedly and patted your hand.

"I was told you've had a very interesting past few months," he chuckled. "My most sincere apologies for missing the wedding, dear. Now, what's all this about kidnappings?"

As the rest of the boys gathered around the table, you and Toby gave LJ the abridged version of the past several months. He frowned when you'd mentioned Doctor Smiley and said that he had, unfortunately, helped him formulate the "cooperation" gas that he'd used on you and Toby to make you more compliant. You let Toby describe the wedding and watched as his face lit up as he spoke. When he was finished and everyone was finally at the table, Masky told the crowd to dig in.

"Where's Slenderman?" You asked Toby as you forked some mashed potatoes onto your plate. He looked over at the empty seat at the head of the table and shrugged.

"I feel bad to eat without him," you frowned.

"Why don't we bring him a plate?" Masky suggested.

"Y-Yeah! W-we all sh-should stop in an-and say hi. He's be-been busy late-lately," Hoodie nodded enthusiastically. 

"Well, we've all started eating, so we can bring him one after we finish," Jeff shrugged. Masky made him a plate before all the food was gone and set it in the microwave, then sat beside Hoodie and jumped into one of the many conversations floating across the table. You leaned over your empty plate to listen as Sally told you about all the fun she's been having dressing up as a flower girl and having weddings for her many stuffed animals and dolls. She invited you to Mr. Flufflebottom and Ms. Buttermuffin's wedding tomorrow night and you accepted with a smile. She turned her attention to the bear beside her and you eavesdropped on Jeff's conversation with Masky and Hoodie.

"I totally kicked (Y/N)'s ass today," he boasted.

"Oh, heck no you did not! " You scoffed, inserting yourself into the conversation.

"You're right," Jeff smirked, "I kicked your and Toby's asses."

"Hell no you didn't!" Toby snorted from behind you. "My girl wiped the floor with your pale ass!" The table erupted with laughter and even Jeff chuckled at himself.

"You're right," Jeff nodded after the laughter died down and turned to you. "You did great today."

"Thanks bud," you smirked and punched his arm playfully. Once everyone had eaten their fill, you grabbed the plate that Masky had prepared for Slender and knocked on his door. You heard the door's lock click and everybody's breath caught. You swung the door open and everyone took a deep breath to sing Happy Birthday, despite the fact that it was nowhere near it, but stopped when you saw him leaned over his desk with his head in his thin, pale hands.

"Slender?" Jeff called, taking a step into the office. Everybody filed in after him, gathering anxiously around his desk. You'd never seen him look so distressed.

"What is it?" Masky asked quietly. Slenderman took a deep breath and stood up.

"One of my brothers have just informed me that Zalgo has been missing for several days now. They found blood in his office."