Chapter 11

The morning after you learned about Zalgo's disappearance, you and Toby were busy at the counter preparing your picnic lunch. In only half an hour, the two of you had managed to turn Masky's well-kept and well-cleaned kitchen into something equivalent to a pigsty. Mustard and mayonnaise striped the counters and cabinets and a slice of cold-cut turkey was clinging to the wall. Boiling water and noodles had bubbled over onto the once-shiny stove.

"Do you think Masky's gonna be mad?" you asked innocently, licking your thumb and wiping a streak of relish from Toby's cheek.

"Just tell him it was a result of you unintentionally murdering the lord of the Creepypastas," he snorted and picked a piece of cheese from your hair, "then he can't be mad."

"Not funny," you pouted and began stuffing tubs of sandwiches, chips, and pasta salads into a large bag. Toby bumped you with his hip playfully and switched off the stove. As you prepped the picnic basket, he rested his chin on the top of your head and draped his arms across your chest. You leaned up to kiss him quickly on the cheek before he turned away to begin cleaning up the kitchen to the best of his ability. Once most of the condiments and deli meats were wiped away, Toby slung the picnic bag over her shoulder, took your hand, and led you out the back door.

The two of you walked in silence, watching the trees and listening to the wind whistling through the underbrush. The forest, as it almost always was, was peaceful and serine. The still of the trees made them seem like petrified giants, wise and old. Thoughts stirred about your mind and you tried to quiet them by playing a game you'd created to calm yourself.

"Want to play a game?" you asked Toby.

"What did you have in mind?"

"When I can't stop thinking about the bad, I like to list off little things I've noticed about you since we've met," you smiled and tightened your grip on his hand. For some reason, you felt embarrassed.

"Alright then," he grinned, "You go first."

"Well," you paused to think, "when you're concentrating on something like cooking or reading a book, you poke your tongue out."

"No I don't," he snorted.

"You totally do," you smirked, "Now it's your turn."

"Alright then, when you get nervous or embarrassed, you bite the inside of your cheek."

"You're very perceptive," you laughed. "And you talk in your sleep."

"Oh God," he groaned, "On a scale of one to ten, how embarrassing are the things I say?"

You giggled and said, "About a seven." Toby let out another groan before pausing to think.

"When you fight or argue, your eyes light up like fire," he said thoughtfully, "and a certain fierceness settles over you."

"Your eyes turn a muddy green when you get mad."

"I'm addicted to the feeling of your hair between my fingers," Toby sighed and twirled a strand of it around his finger.

You looked away to hide your blush and said, "You're supposed to say something about me, not yourself."

"I couldn't resist the opportunity to make you embarrassed," he smirked, patting you head rhythmically. 

"Gee, thanks."

As you and Toby walked hand in hand, you chatted quietly to one another as if having a confidential conversation. You talked about everything from your first meeting to Zalgo's disappearance to Zero. With just the two of you like this, out in the woods with no one to hear your speaking but him, you found it easier to talk about Zero and the dreams that connected the pair of you. You told Toby that the dreams had never made you feel safe, but feel raw like a renewed wound. You told him everything about the dreams and Zero that you knew and you didn't feel afraid anymore. When you were finished, you didn't feel nervous anymore. Toby wrapped his fingers around yours and squeezed them reassuringly.

When you'd reached the ashen remains of your old home, Toby spread out a blanket and gave you a moment to stand in what was left of the front doorway. Charred black and layered in ashes, you peered into the dimly lit skeleton of your childhood. There were times when you missed your mother, the good side of her anyway, but you never regretted your decision to chase after the twitching boy that night. After you finished reminiscing on the past, you took a seat beside Toby on the blanket and began to unload your picnic lunch.

"Is this what you needed?" Toby asked though a mouthful of pasta salad.

"Yeah," you nodded and took a bite of your sandwich.

"There's something I wanted to talk to you about," he said after a pause. The look in his eyes made you nervous. You twisted your wedding ring around you finger.

"What is it?"

After another pause, he began, "Slenderman approached me last night said that some of the Creepypasta from the other manors were forming a group to investigate Zalgo's disappearance. He asked me if I'd be interesting in joining."

"And what did you say?"

"I told him I'd have to ask you first, of course."

"I'm your wife, not your parole officer," you smirked, "but thank you for talking to me about it first."

"What do you think? It would require me to leave for a little bit and soon. We don't know how long it will be. I know this is a bit of a stressful time for you and we've only just been married, so I feel nervous leaving you here on you own."

"I won't be on my own," you smiled reassuringly, "I've got everyone at the mansion. We'll hold down the fort."

"I'll be able to fill you in on anything we find."

"If this is what you want to do, then go for it."

"I love you, you know that?" Toby grinned and leaned across the picnic basket to kiss you. When you broke apart, you smiled.

"You've told me a few times," you laughed. "I love you, too."

"I'm going to find him, (Y/N)," Toby declared, "I promise you, I'll bring him back."

"My brave knight," you smirked.

"One of my many charms."