Chapter 13

Three days and about twelve phone calls after Toby's departure, you plopped down on the couch beside Zero. It was just after lunch and you'd snuck out of the kitchen after feeding your untouched sandwich to Smile.dog under the table. Since Toby had left, you'd been so anxious and worried that just the thought of food made your stomach churn.

"I'm bored," Zero groaned, letting his head roll across the couch cushion and bounce on his shoulder.

"What do you want to do?" you asked. "It's a nice day outside."

"Let's go running!" he suggested and jumped to his feet. He held out a hand to you and you took it, letting him pull you to your feet. You jogged upstairs, changed into your most comfortable pair of running clothes, and met Zero in the backyard. Before you ever reached him, he said, "Let's race."

"Only if you're ready to get your butt whooped," you smirked, coming up beside him. He gave you a mischievous grin and announce for the two of you to take your marks. After exchanging one last smile, he began the race and you dashed off and into the forest ahead. For a few moments you were under the impression that you were far ahead, or at least until Zero flashed past you in a blur of black and red. You almost tripped at how fast he was. It was inhuman.

"Come on, (Y/N)," he shouted over his shoulder, "I thought I was supposed to get my butt whooped. Looks like I'm the one who's gonna be whooping you, eh?"

"Like hell you will," you hissed through gritted teeth and sped up your pace. Even though you knew you could go faster, you kept a steady pace. There was no was he could keep up that speed for much longer without burning out his energy and when he did, you would have enough energy to pass him up and seal your victory. But he didn't slow down. The strange man seemed to have an endless supply of energy as he leaped bounded over fallen trees and large roots. By the time you'd slowed to a jog, the forest swirling around you, he was a mere speck in the distance. 

"Jesus," you panted through your teeth as he circled back to you, "You're insane."

"I'll take that as a complement," Zero grinned and pushed his midnight hair from his face. He was barely out of breath.

"I pity anyone who tries to run from you."

"Their best bet would be to hide," he boasted, "though they couldn't hide forever."

"Alright buddy," you laughed, "don't let it get to your head."

You suggested a rematch back to the house, but Zero declined. You suspected it was because you'd nearly collapsed as a punctuation to the offer. After taking a moment to catch your breath, the two of you began the walk back to the mansion. You'd run much farther than you'd imagined you could and though you didn't beat Zero (or even come close), you felt accomplished. But despite your breathing returning to normal, you were still dizzy. After stumbling over a branch for the third time, this time falling onto your still bandaged knees, Zero made you stop.

"Let me carry you," he offered. You leaned your head back against the trunk of a tree and shook your head. 

"We still have a good ways to go," he frowned but you waved your hand and pushed yourself back to your feet, swaying.

"Did you drink enough water?" 

You nodded and pressed a hand to the rough bark of a nearby tree to steady yourself.

Zero eyed you for a moment, then narrowed his gaze and said, "You didn't eat, did you?"

"Of course I ate," you protested.

"If that were true, then all this running would have made you sick by now. So the only plausible conclusion is that you didn't eat."

"Zero, I'm fine," you protested, but he just shook his head.

"When is the last time you ate a proper meal?" he asked, his face eerily calm.

"Zero-"

"When?" he asked again. This time his voice was harder and something flashed in his eyes, something you couldn't make out before it vanished as quickly as it had appeared.

"Sometime yesterday, I think," you replied quietly.

"You think?" Zero snapped. "So you don't even remember?"

"I'm telling you I'm okay," you said lightly, "I'll slow down if you want. Just..." 

"Just what?"

"Just," you sighed, your voice barley above a whisper, "don't tell Toby."

"I told him that I'd take care of you," Zero sighed, "and I've screwed even that up."

"Wait a second, you're blaming yourself?" You shook your head. "This has nothing to do with you. I just wasn't hungry alright? Let's get back."

You began to walk back toward the mansion but when you didn't hear Zero's footfalls behind you, you turned to find him standing in the same spot with his fists clenched at his sides. Guilt wracked your stomach and you took a few steps toward him, saying quietly, "Let's go."

"Not until you promise." His gaze was on the ground.

"Promise what?"

"Promise that you'll eat something. It's not fair to Toby and it's not fair to all of the people who promised him they'd watch over you; your friends." He lifted his eyes to meet yours and you saw the same flickering as before, gone before it could be identified.

You looked down at your hands, anywhere but his inhuman eyes, and nodded, "I promise."

"Thank you," he muttered and took off walking ahead of you. Though he didn't walk beside you, he kept his pace so that he could see you in his peripheral vision. He did not speak, so neither did you.

"Where the heck have you two been?" BEN asked as you shut the back door after Zero.

"Make a sandwich," Zero commanded.

BEN stared at him for a moment, confused, then snorted, "Why can't you make your own sandwich? I'm sure I'd look hot in a maid's outfit, but a please would be nice."

"It's not for me," he sighed and pointed a thumb towards you, "Someone's been skipping meals."

You glared at Zero as BEN launched into a frantic storm of scolding and sandwich making, but the boy only gave you a weary smile before disappearing upstairs. 

Yo yo yo, sup homies! I just created a new account that's specifically dedicated to original works called AikaMonochrome! I posted the 1st chapter to my first story so check it out if you're interested!

Thanks for reading!