Eight: The Beach and the Bitch

My three days of duty was such a tiring one. I had to deal with demanding patients. But it’s my job…my vocation.  

But thank heavens it’s already Thursday! I don’t have to wake up early. Gotta deal with Nathan today. For sure, he will orient us about the photo shoot this Friday. I am walking inside The One Clothing Line building. This is big. When will I have this kind of company? For sure, it will take hundreds of years before I earn such money and build one. I rush in the elevator and press 10. The One Modeling Agency is also located here.

“Hey wait up!” I heard someone shouts and I quickly press open.

“That was close. Whew! Thanks!” It is Ian, smiling charmingly. “Good morning, Kiara.” he is wearing a white buttoned shirt, a grey suit and a black flannel pants. His hair tousled up. Really adorable. He smell…oh so good.

“Good morning, Ian.” He presses 5. Oh, heading to the CEO’s office? I frown. After few seconds, the elevator stops at the fifth floor. “See you later, dear.” He winks and steps out of the elevator. My lips partly open. My heart thumps faster. What the? His small gestures really startle me.

The elevator halts at the Eighth floor. I head to our office and surprised Gaile’s already there sitting on the couch with the other models.

“Good morning everyone!” and I walk towards her and give a small peck on her cheek.

“Wow! Is it really you, Gaile? Why so early? This is the first! Really, this is so unbelievable.” I laugh and sit beside her.

“Hey, stop teasing me. I just woke up early, that’s all.”

“Woke up early or you haven’t sleep at all? I know you well.”

“Steve and I broke up. He cheated on me.”

“What!” I exclaimed. “I could not believe him.”

“Me neither. That bitch.”

“Since when? How did you know about it? And to whom?”

“I’ll talk about it later, she’s here.” And eyes to Jessica— one of our co-models. She has been working here two moths ago and I could not believe she is a bitch. She has an angelic and innocent face, yet it is opposite of what she really is. Right now, I want to slap her and pull her hair for my best friend. Of course, I cannot do it here. I don’t want to lose my job. Although Nathan and I were close, he will never tolerate such act. I look at Gaile. She is staring down, her face unreadable. Steve is such an asshole! Poor Gaile, They had been together since our junior year. He is actually nice, handsome, and sweet. I can’t believe he cheated on my best friend. I want to punch him hard and kick him on his fly.

 My thoughts ended when Nathan walk inside the room. “Good morning, models. Before we start, let me introduce Ian Theodore Harris.” and he walks inside the room. “…the son of Mr. John Harris, our CEO. The One Modeling Agency‘s new manager and the head of the clothing line marketing department. He will be working with us starting today.”

“Good morning everyone! Let’s work well together.” and he smiles. I am surprise. Nathan had not told me earlier. Shit! I feel ashamed of myself. I just want to vanish right now. I stare down. Oh my, I am fidgeting.

Gaile grips my arm and I look at her. She is smirking. “Are you okay?” she whispers. How can I be okay? Are you kidding me?  I rolled my eyes on her. She does know all about this. I look at Nathan. Damn! I want to kill you right now!

“Okay well then let’s start. We will group you into two— five girls and five boys each. The first half will do the photo shoot at the forest and the other half at the beach. You know this time; the company will launch a debut magazine two months from now. We have to start as early as today so we won’t be cramming up. ”

Jeez! I want the first one! I can imagine what will be like wearing exotic ones. I remember last year when I got a photo shoot at the beach; it was such a shame, I really hate wearing two-piece and exposing my body to the public. Anyway, that was Sta. Monica State beach; many people were having a dip and mostly staring at us.

Nathan reaches to his desk and hand a piece of paper. Oh, my…oh my…he already got a list. I keep my fingers crossed.

“Aldous, John, Anthony, Tom, Rob, Gaile, Elize, Sydney, Jessica and Kiara- you’ll be the first group. Stephen, Cris, Leo, Matt, Niccolo, Ciara, Natasha, Michaela, Phoebe and Elaine-you’ll be the second.”

Yes! Photo shoot at the forest! I love you, Nate! But wait, Jessica’s with us? Err…

“By the way, the first group will start the photo shoot tomorrow atEl Matador Beach. And the second will be on Sunday at Redwood forest.” I am dumbfounded. The room filled with voices. I’ve never been to El Matador beach yet I know that it’s in Crescent City, along the coast of northern California ‘coz we had passed through there when we went to Crescent city. How could you do this to me Nathan? I am so upset.

Gaile stares at me. “Kiara, dear, don’t be ridiculous. I know you hate wearing swimsuits, but what are you ashamed of anyway? You have the curves; you must know that by now. Besides, I’ve been there, it’s not that public, and few people swim there.”

“It’s just that…um, alright. I get it.” I sigh.

“Don’t have the confidence, eh? Surely, Ian will turn head over heels on you by that.” I hit Gaile's forearm and stares at her wide-eyed. “I was just joking!” she laughs.

“You knew it, didn’t you?” she knows what I am talking about.

“Umm, yeah.”

“Since when?”

“The day when Nathan drove me home because I was drunk. I asked him who brought you home and told me it was Ian. He told me not to worry ‘coz you were safe with the CEO’s son.”

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“We’ve never seen each other since then.”

“But we talked over the phone.”

“Yeah, but the topic never came up.” I shook my head with disbelief. Gaile and I are heading to the door. This day is too much for me. I just want to eat. When I said eat, it will be a lot.

“Hey! Hey! Hey! So, you’re going without talking to me.” Nathan stops us.

“I don’t want to talk to you, Nate.” I pout at him.

“Jeez, Kiara. I’m sorry. I didn’t have the chance to tell you.”

“There’s a lot of way to tell me.” I rolled my eyes.

“I will treat you a strawberry frappe for lunch.”

“Talk to my hand.”

“I am just concerned that you will get tired on Sunday after the shoot and don’t have the energy to work in the hospital on the next day.” Point well made. I look at Nate, he seems upset and looks poignant. “Sorry, Kiara. Please…” he stares at me puppy-eyed.

I hear Gaile giggling. I’m holding myself not to laugh but I can’t. I burst out and hug Nathan. “You know, I can’t stay mad at you, Nate, especially when you do that.” I pull myself out to him.

“I look dumb on that.” He rolls his eyes. “So, are you two having lunch?”

“Yeah, wanna join us?” Gaile answers

“Of course.” We ankle to Nathan’s arms.

“Hey, are you three leaving me behind? Can I join too?” It is Ian.

Fuck.

***the good thing is i can always chop the chapter to make it short yet updated. :P