Chapter Eleven: On the Road Again

Stef was by my side before I was even able to comprehend what Jay said. All of us filled the room with our distress. Stef locked eyes with Jay, commutating silently, before she forced me toward the back room. The dark room made the rusty spring bed look like barbed wire melting into the floor. Stef pushed me to the one drafty window, both of us beginning to light the room with our glowing skin.

"Sarah. You have run. Don't stop no matter what you hear."

"What? No way-" I tried to protest but Stef just shocked her head.

            She was opening the window when we heard the sound of splintering wood. We turned our heads towards the opened doorway. Bronze light illuminated the hallway. It shined so brightly you could barely make out Jay's silhouette intertwining with the dark shadows of a Roper. Jay raised a glowing green hand towards the dark figure making it repulse from it and raised above him. The Roper threw itself at Jay, letting out a shrill when Stef's golden orb hit him. The Roper began to burn like the edges of a book when lite on fire and crumbled. It slowly turned to face me. There was no face nor emotion to see until it slowly turned to ash. I saw shocked, but emotionless, eyes stare me down.

          I could feel myself climbing out the window placing my feet to the ground quickly. This was my chance. I didn't dare to look behind me in fear of Stef or Jay stopping me. I headed towards the front of the cabin. You can do this. I could hear their voices calling me to come back. I ignored them forcing myself to continue.

           The front door was broken in two. Standing in its place was a Roper and a man. I didn't stop to think about who that man could be because I already knew. My skin turned bright silver and the fiery burn began to creep up my hands into my forearms. I imagined the Roper turning into ash and the man burning alive. I couldn't stop hearing my Dad and him screaming for help. This is for you Dad. A cry left my lips as I pulled my arms back and threw them forward hitting the Roper perfectly. Blue flames surrounded him and silver light engulfed him where I had hit him. Out came a shrill forcing me to cover my ears and hunch over. The Roper bursted into blue and silver ashes, the wind blowing them away. What just happened?

           The man turned around slowly. He wore an all black suite with a deep red tie. The fire from inside the cabin lit part of his face. His skin was a rusty color and he had green eyes. He looked like...

No. No. No.

          The man's eyes was burning into mine with such yearning. My hands fell to my sides. A million memories fled to mind. They were too quick to understand them, but I knew exactly who he was. I could never forget this face. Not even dying could erase it.

Rail.

           He was here. Right in front of me. The feeling of terror and helplessness collided with a strange urge to not ran away. An arm grabbed my shoulder pulling me back. My hand automatically shot up and burned with such force I had to turn my face away from the light. It was only Stef and Jay's shocked face. He looked past me. Jay looked sick with hate and fear. He didn't hesitate to wrap me into his arms. I felt a small burst of embarrassment when I saw Rail look at Jay's arms around me. In those undeniably beautiful green eyes was pain but it was clouded with loathing. Rail stepped forward but the moment I blinked he was gone and so was the cabin.

                                                                                         ***

          Stef shut our hotel door. Jay had explained that we flashed here, which was a form of travel for them, and we were now in Salem, New Hampshire. All I did was nod. Words had escaped me. Stef focused on my face never leaving it. I just stared ahead of me looking at the flecking wallpaper. I had so many questions...too many questions.

Why didn't you kill him. I thought. What the hell happened to that Roper? Why didn't you kill him? How did he find me? More importantly, why didn't you kill Rail?

Rail.

          I groaned. Jay was by my side in a flash. "Are you okay? Where are you hurt?" His hands ran down my arms lightly as if I could break at any second. When I didn't respond he turned to Stef. She just shrugged her shoulders.

"Maybe she's in shock." Stef kicked my foot. I didn't move.

Was I in shock?

"He must've done something to her." Jay put his head in his hands pulling at his hair. He moved into my view. I saw tan skin and two green eyes looking back at me. I snapped. I threw myself at him clawing at his face. He's Rail! It's Him!

"You monster!" I screamed as Jay scrabbled to get up. He struggled to crawl backwards from me hitting the wall. I had him pinned to the corner of the room. My hands were balled up ready to release the power inside them.

"Stop it, Sarah! I'm not him."

          I could feel my the truth behind his words but I wasn't going to take that chance. I wasn't going to miss my shot to kill him again. "Liar!" I screamed throwing a silver orb right next to his head. It burned thru the wall.

"Tell her." He bugged Stef.

" I don't know. Maybe she should finish you off. It's poetic, really." Stef said leaning against the wall watching me with a smile on her face. I glared at her breathing hard. "He is a servant of Rail's isn't he?"

"More like his twin brother." I mumbled. I took a threatening step forward.

        "Alright that's enough." Pulling me away from Jay Stef lowered my arm but held onto the power that boiled in my hand. "I guess it's story time." She sat me down on the bed. "Just breathe and ease up on the rage. You're going to burn the whole town down with that much power you're holding on to." I tried to breathe slowly until my breath went back to normal.

"Questions?" Stef asked smiling.

"Many."

"Just ask away, Ader- I mean, Sarah." She blushed in embarrassment.

"What the hell happened to that Roper? It was like he was burning alive."

          Jay stood up walking slowly in front of me. He shook his head. "She lied." He mumbled. Jay scratched his head and looked shyly away when I glared at him. I turned to see Stef bare her teeth at him and slowly look at back at me.

"You didn't did you?" I whispered.

          Stef let out a huff and bowed her head. Her red hair covered her face like a parted curtain. "You weren't strong enough." She said. "At least I thought you weren't. I told you you killed that Roper, but all you did was banish it. Actually killing one takes too much power. I have never been able to kill one..." Her eyes shot up to mine. "But you, you're the only one who has. Tonight you killed a Roper. I've only seen you do that once and it almost killed you." Stef and Jay were staring at me with a look of admiration and fear.

"Why would you lie to me? I could've gotten myself killed!" I said.

        "You were so emotional, Sarah. You wanted revenge for your father. So I gave you that... within reason. I'm so sorry." Stef held my hands. Her skin felt warmer than any human. Stef's eyes bugged for my understanding.

          She was my best friend ever since some upperclassmen chucked mashed potatoes at me. Stef slammed the kids head down into his plate making sure everyone saw. The cafeteria bellowed out in laughter. Stef pulled me into the freshman girl's bathroom and worked to rise all the slimy food out of my hair. I cried and she just let me. There wasn't a day after that that we weren't friends. I had never doubted her. Until now.

" "Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune." Your mother loved this quote. Ironic don't you think? Carl Jung wrote it."

         My father's voice filled my mind. I remember him telling me this when he explained why my mother left. She told Dad that she just knew that they weren't meant to be together. It was ridiculous at the time, but now I understood what she meant my having a gut feeling about something.

        I shook my head clearing it. The feeling was still there but I trusted Stef. She was just looking out for me. Wasn't she?