Chapter Fourteen: Stealing Back What Once Was Mine

I walked away from the warehouse and let the night cold wind wrap itself around me. I let my mind wonder on the past events. My dad died. I was awarded a high five from Stef when I killed her Roper. I kissed Jay knowing it was wrong in the first place because he basically put me in danger every time he was around me. I had an encounter with Rail that didn't really make sense to me. And I knew something was missing.

       My hand reached to my chest. I looked down to see it wasn't glowing green anymore. It's missing. I thought. Or a least some of it. I pushed the nagging thought away. I watched as dark storm clouds covered the sky. Snow started to fall. I closed my eyes wishing I could just melt away like the snow. My legs that were crossed at the ankles and laid my arms behind my head laying on the cold ground.

       I thought about Jay's hurt expression right before he flashed away. Then I thought about his kisses that made me burn with desire yet felt repulsed by him. The way his arms held me was like I was home but it was empty. His green eyes...they matched Rail's along with the tan skin. What was up with that? Were they brothers? They had to be.

   "Hey Stef!" I said sitting up turning towards the warehouse. I stopped and looked at the ground...that was a few feet below me. Stef walked out of the rusty doors and stopped mid stride. Her mouth twitched at the corners. "It's not funny-WOAH." I fell back down to Earth with a hard thump. Stef broke out into a fit of laughter. I glared at her as I dusted myself off.

"Dude you're on fire lately. Remembering things isn't as bad as I thought it would be." She held her hand out and I grabbed it. "I mean you killed a Roper today and now you're flying. Damn girl!" I received another high five which a accepted with a dry laugh.

"Yeah it's totally normal. No biggie." I said. Stef hugged me. Out of habit I hugged her back. A flash of a memory of Athena hugging me made me laugh.

"What's so funny?" Stef back away to face me.

" I may have had a memory of you hugging me crying because the god north wind and of winter turned you down when you tried to kiss him. What was his name?" I scratched my chin trying to remember.

"Boreas." Stef grumbled.

"Oh yeah,god that was too funny. I remembered you wouldn't shut up about getting with his brother instead. Eurus, god of the unlucky east or southeast wind, wasn't it?" She punched my arm. "Ow I was just joking." I said with a laugh.

       A gust of wind blow past me. I turned around to find Jay's black hair was cut short again. I could see the scar on his eyebrow more clearly now. He wore a long sleeved Red Socks hoodie with dark jeans. He avoided my eyes and turned to Stef.

"Nice haircut." Stef said wiggling her eyebrows at me. "You missed out on a lot today." Jay shrugged lowering his eyes down. He's tan skin glowed with his bronze light. He did that a lot when he was embarrassed. Jay looked up at me through his dark lashes. He's eyes were pleading. He nodded slightly towards Stef.

"Hey Stef?" I looked over at her.

"I'm already going." She turned back towards me. " Be easy on him sweetie." She sneered toward Jay.

      After Stef had flashed Jay walked towards me. I held my hands up. "If you're going to kiss me again I'm going to have to hit you." I said backing up. I thought about trying to fly but I wasn't sure I could do it again.

"I'm not trying to kiss you. I'm trying to say I'm sorry." I looked up at him. He had his eyes closed and it looked like he was trying to steady his breathing. "I thought you would always love me..I guess it's stupid of me to think that huh?" He looked at me with hopeful eyes. I couldn't lead him on.