Fifteen

Olivia stood in an overcoat at the corner of the street leaning against the light post. Kam strode over to her, and she chewed on her lower lip as she turned to walk with him towards Central Park.

"I thought I always used condoms," he said.

"That night you got too shit faced to remember, and I was too drunk to care. I'm shocked I was even able to conceive," she muttered.

"Yeah, well, how the hell do I know if it's even mine. I only slept with you a few times those three months, Olivia. I know you went to other guys," he said.

"I know... but I used condoms with all of them," she whispered.

He closed his eyes and ran a hand through his hair.

"I want to have a paternity test. How pregnant do you have to be to get one of them?" he asked her.

"I checked that out. It's a little expensive, but I figured you would rather pay now than worry about it," she breathed.

"When can we get this done? I need to get back to Emilia," he said.

"Tomorrow night. I already spoke with a doctor about it. He just needs some samples from you and they can do the test tomorrow," she whispered.

Kam stopped walking and closed his eyes.

"I can't fucking believe this," he croaked out.

Olivia put a hand on his arm.

"Kam, I don't want anything from you. I don't want your money or anything. I just... I thought you should know. You were in a dark place when we were together, but that doesn't change the fact that this happened. If you don't want to be in the baby's life at all, then just tell me and I'll never contact you again. I can deal with this myself. But... if you want to help, then I won't stop you either," she murmured.

He started walking back with her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"First, let's find out if it's mine. We'll go from there," he told her.

"Alright. Tomorrow night at eight. I'll text you the address," she said.

Kam nodded feebly before shoving his hands in his pockets and meandering his way back to the Plaza. He was not in the right of mind to rush back and hold his woman. If you cheat on me, Kam, then I'll never forgive you. Kam wasn't sure if he cheated on her or not, seeing as he had been with her and lead her on before leaving her, he assumed she would think of it that way. He wouldn't blame her if she did; no matter how much it would kill him to know she thought that.

He also knew he would have to tell her, but he wasn't saying a word until he knew if the baby was his.

                   ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■  

The next night Kam sat nervously in the chair next to Olivia's as he waited for the results to come in. Olivia was chewing on her lip again and bouncing her leg. 

"I'm sorry about this, Kam," she whispered.

"It's not your fault," he muttered.

He hated himself. He hated how stupid he was and that if he had not been so hung up on Emilia this never would have happened. He never had drunk sex, ever. He had been delusional and desperate after she wouldn't answer his calls. He knew he had been fantasizing about Em when he was with Olivia that night. Black out drunk or not, he knew he had to have been hallucinating about her if he was stupid enough to not even think about a condom.

"Alright," the doctor said as he came back in.

Both of them sat up straight and waited to listen. The doctor smiled at Kam and Olivia.