Chapter Twenty Three- Katelyn and Travis

Garroth's POV
I was looking out the window of the carriage, just thinking to myself. Why does my life hate me so much? Why does Zane have to ruin EVERYTHING?! I was still replaying the kiss over again in my head. I couldn't believe I actually kissed her. I hope she's ok and I hope Phoenix Drop will be safe. Heh, of course it will. Laurance, Dante, Dale, and Brian are there to protect it. I smiled to myself, remembering everyone back in Phoenix Drop. I suddenly felt someone slap me in the arm which interrupted my thoughts. I turned my head to look at Zane. He was right next to me.
"What?" I said, cruelly. I wasn't smiling anymore.
"I asked you if you were excited to go home? Mom really misses you, you know." He said, smirking. I turned my head to look out the window again, not answering his question.
"Oh come on, Garroth. Quit being so grumpy. I know you miss your tiny village but look on the bright side. Once you marry the daughter of Scaleswind, you'll be in control. You can do whatever you want." He said.
"The first thing I'll do is execute you." I mumbled. He sighed.
"Garroth, Garroth, Garroth. We both know you will never do that. You may be mad at me now, but you'll get over it. Plus, you'd never want to kill your own BROTHER would you? I mean, you couldn't kill your friend when he attacked the village you love, could you?" I was ready to attack him. HOW DARE HE BRING UP ZENIX!!!! I turned to him, anger in my eyes.
"Don't even think about doing anything to me, Garroth. One wrong move, and you could be putting your entire village in danger. Make the right choice." I took a deep breath and turned away from him, back to the window.
"That's better. Now get excited, we're almost home." He turned away from me and my mind travelled back to Phoenix Drop.

"Laurance, Dante? Keep them safe. For me."

Aphmau's POV
I woke up the next morning with tears soaked into my pillow. I was hoping that everything that happened was just a dream and that Garroth would be in the village, on patrol, talking to Laurance and Dante. I got off my bed and went downstairs. Zoey looked up from her breakfast as I came down. She got up, came over to me, and hugged me.
"I'm so sorry. Word travelled around the village of what happened yesterday. I'm so sorry. I know you two were pretty close." She said.
"It's ok, Zoey. It's not your fault." She let go of me and I saw the boys come over.
"Gar gone?" Levin asked, tears in his eyes. I nodded.
"No, he can't be. He was so nice to us. To everyone in the village. I'm sorry, Mom." Malachi said. I crouched down and the boys came over and hugged me. We then all had breakfast and I left towards the village. I saw Laurance there and he gave me a small smile as I approached.
"Good morning, Aphmau." He said.
"Good morning, Laurance." I replied.
"Hey, um. Can I tell you something?" He asked and I looked at him.
"Sure. What is it?" I asked.
"I really shouldn't be the one to tell you this but, um. He's going to kill me once I say this. Garroth....liked you. M-More than you thought he did." My eyes grew wide and I stared at him.
"Yeah. He had a....crush.....on you. I found out by the way he acted around you and when I went to ask him, he denied it. I asked him again later, but by this time, he knew that I knew he did. He told me he liked you but was too shy to say anything. I then decided that I wanted to help him. I told him everyday that he needed to tell you how he felt, but he never could. He tried to, but Zane always interrupted him whenever he tried to." I suddenly remembered all those times that Garroth was going to tell me something, then Zane showed up. He was going to admit he has feelings for me? I blushed.
"Why did you want to help him? Don't you like me, too?" I asked him and he smiled.
"I'm not a selfish person. Yes, I like you. But I can tell you like him more." I blushed again.
"What are you talking about?" I asked him. He smirked.
"Don't worry. I'm not upset. I see the way you two act around each other. It's kind of obvious. I know you have feelings for him, and I'm ok with that. It's not my job to tell you who you can and can't go out with. I just wanted to let you know just in case you were wondering why he kissed you." I looked at him. He was still smiling.
"You know?" I asked. He nodded.
"The look on his face told me what he was going to do. Now, I'm going to go on patrol. Come find me if you ever want to talk." I nodded and he turned, about to walk away, when Dante came over to us.
"Lady Aphmau. Laurance. There's two people at the gates. We don't know who they are but they want to speak to you." Dante looked at me when he said that. Laurance and I looked at each other and I nodded to Dante. He led us over to the gates and I saw and girl with long blue hair, and a boy with white hair. I approached them and they both bowed to me.
"Good evening, Lady Aphmau. So sorry to bother you. Allow me to introduce us. My name is Katelyn the Fire Fist. A former member of the Jury of Nine. This is Travis, also a former member of the Jury of Nine. We have something we would like to ask you." She said. I looked at Laurance and he nodded his head.
"Go on." I said.
"Thank you. Travis and I both left the Jury of Nine after one of our friends was killed by Zane. We were never truly loyal to him and he soon found this out. Once he killed him, we knew he would come after us, too. So we escaped and left O'Khasis. We've been searching for somewhere to live and stumbled into this village. We were wondering if we could stay here for a bit. Just long enough for Zane to forget we exist." Katelyn said.
"Will you give me a moment? I need to speak to my guards before I make a decision." I told them.
"Of course. Take your time." She said.
"Thank you." I walked away from them and Laurance and Dante followed me. I turned to them once we were far enough away.
"What do you guys think?" I asked them.
"I don't trust anyone who works with Zane." Dante mumbled.
"I agree. But they said they were never loyal to him. Of course, they may be lying and are here to spy on us, but I don't think that's the case." Laurance said.
"Why not?" I asked him.
"Well, because there's no point in spying on us. What would Zane gain from doing that? Is he trying to see if we're planning on declaring war in O'Khasis or trying to break Garroth out? Why would we? O'Khasis would take us out in within 5 minutes of fighting. We'd have no chance." Laurance was right. There was no point in sending spies in.
"I think we should let them stay. But we should also keep a close eye on them. I don't really trust them." Dante said.
"Agreed." I said and we went back over to Katelyn and Travis. We told them that they were allowed to stay for as long as they needed to.
"Thank you. We are in your debt." Katelyn said.
"Yeah, awesome! Thanks!" Travis said, coming over to me and kissing my hand. I pulled my hand back and stepped backwards.
"TRAVIS!!! What did I tell you about talking or doing something stupid?!" Katelyn yelled. Travis smirked and winked at her. She rolled her eyes.
"So sorry about that. He's, um, a pervert. Don't worry, I'll keep my eyes on him. He's a good guy once you get to know him. Trust me." She said. I smiled.
"Thank you. Don't worry, it's fine. Anyway, welcome to Phoenix Drop." I said and they left to go find homes. I left to go check on my village. Hopefully Garroth is ok.

Author's Note
I know Travis isn't in the Jury of Nine but I wanted Katelyn and Travis to enter the story in this chapter and honestly, I couldn't think of anything else. Also, I'm sorry for publishing so late last night. Mom took away my phone and made me go OUTSIDE. Torture. Anyway, I'll try publishing earlier on weekends, I promise.

Thank you
                ~Emily💖