Chapter Eight- Garroth's Face

Aphmau's POV
I walked up the stairs and stared at the village.
"What happened?" I wondered.
Buildings were burned down and falling apart. The walkways had big holes in them. My house was destroyed. Suddenly, a thought came to me.
"LEVIN!" I shouted and rushed toward my house. I saw Dale there and I ran up to him.
"Dale! What happened?" I asked. He turned to me.
"Lady Aphmau. So glad you're back safe. We had a little, um, problem with....Zenix." He said.
"Zenix? He came back?!" I asked, suddenly happy.
"W-well, not exactly. You see, he did everything you see here. He brought an army of.... I don't even know." He said confused.
"Shadow Knights." I turned around and saw Laurance there, looking grim.
"What?" I asked.
"They come from the Nether. If you die, you can come back as a Shadow Knight, if you swear your loyalty to the Shadow Lord." He said.
"How do you know?" I asked him. He looked at the floor.
"I was unfortunately turned into one against my will. I didn't swear my loyalty to the Shadow Lord. I've tried to ignore it but, I haven't really gotten used to it yet." He replied. I was shocked. I turned to Dale.
"Where's Levin?" I asked him.
"Don't worry. Levin is fine. Zoey took him down to his room once the fighting started. They're both safe." I breathed a sigh of relief. "Also, I think you should go see Garroth. He's in the mines right now and he's blaming himself for not doing more to protect the village."
"Yeah, sure. Just let me see Levin first." I rushed downstairs and into Levin's room. Zoey gave him to me and I cradled him in my arms. I stayed there for a few minutes and then I left to go find Garroth. I went over to the mines and went down the stairs leading down. I turned to my right and I saw Garroth, but he didn't have his helmet on. This was the first time that I've ever seen him without his helmet. He had blonde hair and looked younger than I thought he was. He looked around my age. I walked over to him.
"G-Garroth?" He turned away.
"Don't look at me Aphmau. I have failed the village. I couldn't take out Zenix. I failed everyone." He said.
"Garroth you didn't fail anyone. No one blames you. If I knew Zenix as well as you did, I wouldn't have been able to hurt him either. Don't beat yourself up over this." I went over to him and hugged him.
"You didn't fail anyone. No lives were lost and that's a win in my book. I'm proud of you for defending the village. That's what guards do. They protect and defend their village and you did both of those. Thank you." I let go of him and he looked at me. He had crystal blue eyes and his hair swept to the right. He is very handsome.
"Why did I just say that? He's my knight. I can't think like that about him, can I? Uggg."
"Thank you, Lord Aphmau. I'm just going to stay down here for a little longer. Come back if you need me." I sighed.
"Ok. Hey, Garroth?" I asked.
"Yeah?"
I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. He blushed.
"I think you should leave your helmet off more often"
After that, I left and went to go check on the rest of the village, thinking to myself.
"Why did I do that?"

Author's Note
I'm really sorry that this chapter is shorter than the others. It's really late and it's a school night and I need to sleep. I promise I'll make a long chapter tomorrow and add Garroth's POV back in. Again really sorry.

Thank you
              ~Emily💖