CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: Because I Wasn't Able To Save You Before!

Loud footsteps drew near as I pressed myself against the foam of my headboard. Pulling the sheets towards my body, the loud thuds in my chest continues to pace up. As the fabric almost tore itself, my gaze was steady at the bloody mess on my window.

It was not long enough before the door was blasted open that I averted my eyes from the window.

"Kohell, you can't be--" Errine was interrupted upon seeing the darkness of my room and the bloody 5-letter word on my window. She was just behind Kohell and I'm guessing she wanted to stop Kohell from coming to my room. She gaped, hands on her mouth and sheer terror reflected from her eyes.

Kohell immediately rushed towards me. Pulling the sheets, tearing it off. Not minding how much force I exerted to keep the fabrics covering me, but in the end, they are all down by the floor and Kohell automatically wrapped his arms around me, embracing me.

"It's okay. You're okay. I'm here." He tried to comfort me. And that was when I returned back to my senses.

I held on to him with my body shaking, like my life pretty much depends on him. Which it really does. Because as of now, the last resort I have was to be with him. To feel safe. I don't know what he can do and how he can do it, but I just feel a sense of safety whenever I'm with him.

Again, I wasn't ready for another threat. It was too soon. It's only 1:34 in the morning and I received another death threat in just 4 hours interval. And I know they'll keep it coming not if I surrender the necklace to them. But I won't. If this thing is very important, very essential for what they are plotting, it can be dangerous in their hands. Who knows, this necklace within their grasp can wreck havoc in this small town, worst in the whole country or world.

"Oh d God, they really don't get tired. Jesus!" Errine spoke while walking towards me.

"Errine, go get a glass of water. Please." Kohell said.

"Copy that." Errine rushed downstairs.

Kohell recoiled from the embrace but both hands are in my shoulders. His dark brown eyes are focused on me. I can feel my body shaking like it wouldn't want to stop.

"I guess you finally made the decision." Kohell began. But received no response from me since I really can't open my mouth to speak.

"You are no longer safe in here, Heather. You know that. Why do you still have to be hard-headed? You have to move in with me. You're in goddamn danger and you'll get killed if you stay in here. You fully understand that, don't you?" Kohell added. His grip on my shoulders tightened a bit. But I can feel no pain since my body has gone numb for some unknown reason.

Kohell waited for my response and so I gathered up all the strength I have left and opened my mouth to speak. "You can... You can stay h-here... K-Keep us safe... please?" I managed to say.

"No. Even staying here can be dangerous. They can walk in and out of this place while you're snoring. Especially when Selene was confirmed alive." Kohell answered.

"Selene? Why? What's the matter with her?" I asked.

"They are controlling her, Heather. She's supposed to be dead but they held on to her because of something. They held on to her because they still want to use her. Selene is being forced to do something because she's no longer in control of herself. She doesn't have the will to move and talk on her own. And her movements are being watched." Kohell answered.

"You mean... Selene at the Mystic Forest..."

"...is a diversion. They needed to extract you out of this place to find something. And with you, very much eager to know everything, to answer some questions, you took the bait." He explained.